When does liking someone turn into love?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
So, as some of you may know, I have been talking with someone from the Philippines for quite awhile. I spend almost every night talking to her, we video chat, and I like her a lot. She is close to my age, and we say we like each other, no problem there. Like my thread title says when do you know you are in love? I can honestly say I have never been in romantic love so I am unsure how different you may feel. Am I already in love? I don't play games, when I like someone I tell them. I love my family, I do love several people on here, but I just don't know. Some more background, We are both fine with long distance for now ( hence my previous thread), and I just don't know. This is a very serious thread for me, I don't often expose myself like this, so I welcome all thoughts on this matter. Some of you are married, in a relationship, some might be divorced, so tell me why are you in love, why are you no longer in love? Thank you for taking the time to read this long post, I know there is probably no easy answer, but still, it would be nice right ?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is how you know . I married my best friend . I didn't get married because I could live with her, I got married because I can't live without her . If you get up in the morning and she's the frist thing you think of then i'd say you have been bitten my friend . I have been married almost 19 years I can't say everyday is good . But I can say everyday I'm with her she makes me a better man .

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I'm only 25, but I can honestly say that I am in love with my girlfriend. We've only been dating for 4.5 years, but I've adored her for longer. Here's my story from how I met Christy, my girlfriend.

Christy was mutual friends with a friend of mine and showed up at a get together at my friends house. I saw something in her that instantly attracted me to her, despite her slight intoxication. I didn't talk to her that night. Our group hung out many Times after that, every weekend in fact. I was considered "shy" and didn't know how to talk to her. She was a little shy herself at times. Her friends knew I had a really big third grade crush on her, and I knew she was something else. She had no attraction to me, nor interest in me. I was definitely head over heels. Long story short, she got to know me more on a personal level. I really tried to impress her, to be the guy that made the move and just bring her "study food" randomly, and to do things I've never been comfortable with. I never tried too hard and didn't feel like my efforts were useless, but I did feel like she wasn't feeling the mutual feelings I was having. I really worked on taking my time and just letting things come together, whether I knew they would or not.

I truly have gotten lucky for Christy to have ended up in my life at such a young age. She truly fell into my lap without me expecting anything to happen. I wasn't looking. Why am I in love? How do I know? That's a huge question. At my age, I could be out in the world trying to date girls and making choices I might regret. But, I know that I couldn't find anyone, she couldn't be replaced by anything, and I don't see it better anywhere else.

I don't know that I was able to stay on topic with your subject, but I wanted to share my a short portion on my life. Good luck David! You will find someone, whether you're looking or not.

Peytons torts

I kinda know how your feeling last year I med this guy he was super nice to me I didn't like him at the time he asked me out but when he did I didn't want him to feel bad so I said yes after that I realized that I kinda fell for him but I guessed he realized that he didn't feel the same anymore and started cheating on me with a smoking drug dealing girl I was heart broken and even now I still think of him wondering if he still thinks of me

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
So, as some of you may know, I have been talking with someone from the Philippines for quite awhile. I spend almost every night talking to her, we video chat, and I like her a lot. She is close to my age, and we say we like each other, no problem there. Like my thread title says when do you know you are in love? I can honestly say I have never been in romantic love so I am unsure how different you may feel. Am I already in love? I don't play games, when I like someone I tell them. I love my family, I do love several people on here, but I just don't know. Some more background, We are both fine with long distance for now ( hence my previous thread), and I just don't know. This is a very serious thread for me, I don't often expose myself like this, so I welcome all thoughts on this matter. Some of you are married, in a relationship, some might be divorced, so tell me why are you in love, why are you no longer in love? Thank you for taking the time to read this long post, I know there is probably no easy answer, but still, it would be nice right ?
Sounds like you're already in loooooooove. You live in southern Cali right, how did you two meet?

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I've been wanting to ask how this relationship was going, but was afraid to dig up bad memories if it had ended. Glad it's still going strong. :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I married my best friend. No matter how you look at love or romance what matters most is that that is the one person you need to be able to count on. Thick and thin.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think Mike said it best: I didn't get married because I could live with her, I got married because I can't live without her

Here's my thought on the subject. Don't try to put labels on your feelings. Just go along as you are. One of these days you're going to realize that what you feel for her is "love." (or not)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Sounds like you're already in loooooooove. You live in southern Cali right, how did you two meet?

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)
I met her on craigs list, we tarted chatting on face book, the rest they say is history. Do I have to be in looooooove? how about just inlooove? :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do I have to be in looooooove? how about just inlooove?

Just be smart.....sometimes the "love" thing is too overrated my friend....the pair thing holds true on alot of creatures, not just tortoise....have fun and don't focus on the label...also, what was the point of the initial contact? I mean, I am sure I am not the only one that thought about the Philippine bride to the US thing---don't get mad for me asking....

I have an Uncle who met and married a lady he brought here/married for her to become a legal citizen in the US....HOWEVER, it ended up that they did eventually stay together, have three children and over 25 years later are still together....they are fond of one another.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Just be smart.....sometimes the "love" thing is too overrated my friend....the pair thing holds true on alot of creatures, not just tortoise....have fun and don't focus on the label...also, what was the point of the initial contact? I mean, I am sure I am not the only one that thought about the Philippine bride to the US thing---don't get mad for me asking....

I have an Uncle who met and married a lady he brought here/married for her to become a legal citizen in the US....HOWEVER, it ended up that they did eventually stay together, have three children and over 25 years later are still together....they are fond of one another.
The inital contact was a looking to expand my horizons, nothing more. I am well aware that a lot of women there will use the men to get here. I did some investigation, plus she has a extensive face book history, about 4 years. I am not angry, but like I say love i a risk, but it is a risk worth taking, I went into this with eyes wide open, she doesn't hide anything from me, so I trust her a lot. Will it work out? I hope it does, but like all things time will tell.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The inital contact was a looking to expand my horizons, nothing more. I am well aware that a lot of women there will use the men to get here. I did some investigation, plus she has a extensive face book history, about 4 years. I am not angry, but like I say love i a risk, but it is a risk worth taking, I went into this with eyes wide open, she doesn't hide anything from me, so I trust her a lot. Will it work out? I hope it does, but like all things time will tell.

:)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As an older guy, (50) I can say that It's easier to fall in love long distance sometimes because it's like a dream. Being with that person physically and day to day with all of the little quirks and conflicts in your personalities can only be experienced later, once you're together. The reality is often a little or a lot less dream like. I followed my junior high school girlfriend through phone calls all through separate colleges a thousand miles apart and through her two marriages. We talked on the phone about twice a year for decades until the time that we were both free at the same time. All of that fairy tale came to a head and we were quickly married.......The marriage was over within two months. The wonderful woman I'm married to now, I met in a newspaper ad. We've been together almost since our second date. 16 years now! Be careful. I'm a sucker for falling in love. I also take chances. It's true that you can save your self from being hurt by being too cautious, but there is also a lot to gain that you could also miss. Later in life you might find yourself very upset that you didn't find out if this would have worked or not. I'm actually kind of exited for you. One way or another, It'll all work out. You're still young. Good luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
David, you got one life. I think,you should do whatever you can to meet this person face to face, in person, not Skype and see where it goes. Even if you don't feel the same after that, it doesn't mean you two can't still stay friends. If you don't take a chance, you will only have regrets. If you can't wait for that time you talk then I think your in love. If it doesn't matter if you miss a day of talking with her, your not.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
If you're in truly in love with someone you don't ask yourself that question, being in love is simply devoting all your energy towards someone. :) so if that special person is everything in the world to you, and you can't live without her, then you are in love.

Last edited by a moderator:

phebe121

Me and my bf arr truly in love we dated
For 6 month be for i moved in now its almost 3 yrs i can honestly say not every day is a picnic but i still cant live with out him by my side i need him and want him there till we are old and gray and i know he feels the same way he still calls me on his brakes at work and irs to say i love you ill text him all day even know he cant answer at work at night one gets up to pee when we get into bed we kiss the other one. If you cant live with out that person u think about the, all the time weather you live in the same house or not

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
David, you got one life. I think,you should do whatever you can to meet this person face to face, in person, not Skype and see where it goes. Even if you don't feel the same after that, it doesn't mean you two can't still stay friends. If you don't take a chance, you will only have regrets. If you can't wait for that time you talk then I think your in love. If it doesn't matter if you miss a day of talking with her, your not.
I can definitely go a day (at least) without talking to my husband!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio

Thanks for posting this!! the love thing is overrated. People think they love someone when they get married, and possibly they do. Real love is so much more complicated than that. It's building a life together, going through **** together, having children, raising children, buying a house, losing a house, paying the bills, not being able to pay the bills, life tragedies that you go through together. Maybe I"m not a romantic, but I think people need to use their head a little more and heart a little less when choosing a life partner.