When do shells harden?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
The reason I mentioned cat meat was because it has Vitamin D in it. If your tort is still soft the D3 from cat meat may help. What I don't understand is even if your uvb bulb is to high your tort is spending plenty of time outside in the sun to get D3. When your tort is outside does she hide all time?

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
@Anyfoot what do you think about the placement of the lights on top? Wanted to try to balance things more. Need to cut more flexi if you this looks good. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1502884488.694411.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Mhmm, things look different from this angle. What are the lamps sat on?

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
@Anyfoot they are sat on the lid. I then use this stuff (see pic) cut around the lights to hold on heat/humidity. I had the CHI's on the top before with the UV on the bottom. Trying to rearrange to allow for more light/heat throughout. Any changes you would suggest? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1502885370.327628.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Is the CHE on a thermostat? In an enclosure that size that is a closed system you will only need 1x 100watt CHE, but it must be on a thermostat to control the temperature. I'd have a small uvb tube to one end of the enclosure so the opposite end is darkish. Black out the back and ends of your glass enclosure from the outside, you don't want it too bright for baby Redfoots.
All these things may not be why your guy is not growing but getting the set up correct eliminates your set up as a cause of problem.

Where did you get your tort from?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
What do you mean timers? A timer switches the CHE of at what ever time you set it to. It's not relevant to the temperature. A thermostat will switch the CHE on and off to keep your temperature a constant.

I would put the light to one end width ways but it looks too big for your enclosure to do that.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
@Anyfoot yes a thermostat. They are both on it. Should I put it diagonal with the two CHIs on either side like the pic I sent prior?
Put you light as far to one end of the enclosure as you can and make this end the feedingvend too.

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
@Anyfoot just seeing the questions regarding greens and vitamin D. She does end up going into a hide or the shade to get out of the sun when outside.

For greens she eats: dandelion, kale, collards, turnip, and nesturum leaves. I follow the guides that I found on here well. Will try the cat food as well. I sent a message back please check.

Thanks for all of your help!

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
@Anyfoot put greens on before going to the store to get cat food and she has been chomping for over 15 mins! Was swimming a bit in the water, but no poop. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1502980383.899842.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Keep feeding weeds and greens then, small amount of protein once a week at the most. I used to give my juveniles 1 pinkie every week to 10 days.

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
Keep feeding weeds and greens then, small amount of protein once a week at the most. I used to give my juveniles 1 pinkie every week to 10 days.
Thank you so much for all of your help @Anyfoot- I will keep you updated on her progress. I'm feeling a little better today than I was yesterday! Fingers and toes crossed.