When can I sex?

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Okay so I have a baby Russian tortoise and I know it has to be around 5 years of age to sex it but how do I know for sure it is a positive sexing or if it's to early

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay so I have a baby Russian tortoise and I know it has to be around 5 years of age to sex it but how do I know for sure it is a positive sexing or if it's to early
When they start nearing maturity, the secondary sexual characteristics will begin to show. In Russians the females get bigger, and the males have much larger, longer tails. Both sexes have a flat plastron. On older mature specimens the anal scute shape can be an indicator oo, but that usually doesn't happen until later and its not 100%.

You can't tell for the first few years.

Minnesota
When they start nearing maturity, the secondary sexual characteristics will begin to show. In Russians the females get bigger, and the males have much larger, longer tails. Both sexes have a flat plastron. On older mature specimens the anal scute shape can be an indicator oo, but that usually doesn't happen until later and its not 100%.

You can't tell for the first few years.
Thank you tom