Wheeze in sulcata tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Olean NY
My sulcata tortoise has a wheeze. He is 3 years old, a little longer than a foot long and probably around 20lbs. I've had him all his life, and suddenly he is sick. There is no vet who could see him in the area and the nearest one who could possibly take him is closed till Monday. He doesn't have nose bubbles, loss of appetite, lethargy or constipation. He's moving around still and seeking attention, he's just wheezing and I can hear the mucus inside him when he breathes. Please help with any information you can give. What is wrong with him? How can i help him until monday, or longer if they cant see him same day? What could they do for him? How much would it cost?

Attachments

• 20231114_174823.jpg
    20231114_174823.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This can be an early sign of a respiratory infection. This is usually caused by conditions that are too cool, especially at night. What is the over night low temp on the floor of the enclosure? It should be 80 or higher on the floor.

The wrong lighting, like cfl type UV bulbs, and dry dusty substrate can also cause this sort of thing.

Olean NY
This can be an early sign of a respiratory infection. This is usually caused by conditions that are too cool, especially at night. What is the over night low temp on the floor of the enclosure? It should be 80 or higher on the floor.

The wrong lighting, like cfl type UV bulbs, and dry dusty substrate can also cause this sort of thing.
Around 81°, how do they treat a respiratory infection at rhe vet? I'm worried he will need surgery of some sort

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Around 81°, how do they treat a respiratory infection at rhe vet? I'm worried he will need surgery of some sort
If there is indeed a respiratory infection, the vet will prescribe antibiotics.

The problem is: They don't get sick for no reason. You need to figure out why the tortoise got sick in the first place and correct the problem. Without correcting the problem, treating the symptoms is futile.

Is there a way for the tortoise to warm up above that 81 degree ambient? What is that temperature?

Olean NY
If there is indeed a respiratory infection, the vet will prescribe antibiotics.

The problem is: They don't get sick for no reason. You need to figure out why the tortoise got sick in the first place and correct the problem. Without correcting the problem, treating the symptoms is futile.

Is there a way for the tortoise to warm up above that 81 degree ambient? What is that temperature?
We have just boarded up the sides of his enclosure so the heat can remain inside. He got a new enclosure on tuesday and I haven't been able to set it up with a thermometer yet he only has a room thermometer. I plan on getting a thermometer tomorrow. He's making an occasional grunting sound. He's still eating and moving around though, is he going to be alright if I can't make it to the vet for a couple days? Possibly a week?

Olean NY
We have just boarded up the sides of his enclosure so the heat can remain inside. He got a new enclosure on tuesday and I haven't been able to set it up with a thermometer yet he only has a room thermometer. I plan on getting a thermometer tomorrow. He's making an occasional grunting sound. He's still eating and moving around though, is he going to be alright if I can't make it to the vet for a couple days? Possibly a week?
In addition to getting a thermometer what should I do? Possibly another heat lamp?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
That sounds scary, how do you administer the shot and is it dangerous?
On my little redfoot they had me hold one of his front legs out and put the needle in the area between his leg and neck. But they can take it through the mouth I believe if they are big enough. It's easier with 2 people

Olean NY

He has jungle floor Cyprus mulch and 4 heat lamps each equipped with 2 150watt ceramic heat emitter. He is in a 4ft wide × 6ft Long × 2ft tall enclosure made of wood. It's brand new, he just got it on tuesday. It's got a couple windows we have just boarded up and I hope it helps keep heat in and make him feel better

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
He has jungle floor Cyprus mulch and 4 heat lamps each equipped with 2 150watt ceramic heat emitter. He is in a 4ft wide × 6ft Long × 2ft tall enclosure made of wood. It's brand new, he just got it on tuesday. It's got a couple windows we have just boarded up and I hope it helps keep heat in and make him feel better
Can you turn up the temperature settings on the C.H.E's thermostats? From what I recall 2 of those should be enough to heat that size enclosure. @Tom is right about finding the cause and bringing up the heat.

Olean NY
He has jungle floor Cyprus mulch and 4 heat lamps each equipped with 2 150watt ceramic heat emitter. He is in a 4ft wide × 6ft Long × 2ft tall

Can you turn up the temperature settings on the C.H.E's thermostats? From what I recall 2 of those should be enough to heat that size enclosure. @Tom is right about finding the cause and bringing up the

Olean NY
The ceramic heat emitters should be on thermostats to regulate temperature. I'm running 2 150w ones in Mojo's condo enclosure maintaining mid 80's
Could you link me to some adjustable heat lamps? How much do they cost?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
O thermometers. I plan to get him one tomorrow, do you mean I need a new heat fixture?
No it's a thermostat just like how you regulate the temperature of your home except this one is for your tortoises home. The ceramic heat emitter you have already plugs in the this to control it. Also I personally didn't have any luck using that housing with the ceramic heat emitters in it.