"$" WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

If you had alot of money, what would you do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Mo
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered". Is a quote from one of the best soccer players ever George Best. I have already been down this road and kind of lived like George. The next time around, I would save some spend some and invest some. Live and learn.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I would need to know what constitutes a lot. I would need 10mil. To fund the Somalia project. I would love to be a billionaire!!!!!!

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
I'd send some of that money my way!!!! ;) I'd like to but a home and some land... invest enough for when i retire and donate the rest or start a scholarship or something... anything over 1.5mil I wouldnt know what to do with that much other than give it away.

DeanS said:
I need to know what constitutes a lot! All I can think about is a new house with more property...at least an acre. And YES! I would designate at least 1/4 acre for tortoises.

Tom said:
I recently saw some pics of a place like this in FL. So there is already a model to follow...
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Real estate is super cheap in my area right now! everyone move to Brevard County FLORIDA!!!!! lol

momo said:
spend it and get a house so i could take care of my parents and brother who lives with them. parents in wheel chairs , brother has lupus and 3 heart attacks. i would build a handicap house! thank you. lindy

harris said:
I'd light my cigars with 20 dollar bills.

like that too! lindy

Dont forget to hire a caregiver Lindy!
And you can hire me to set up your Handicap Accessable Floor Plan!! ;)

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
FranklinAndTara said:
I'd send some of that money my way!!!! ;) I'd like to but a home and some land... invest enough for when i retire and donate the rest or start a scholarship or something... anything over 1.5mil I wouldnt know what to do with that much other than give it away.

DeanS said:
I need to know what constitutes a lot! All I can think about is a new house with more property...at least an acre. And YES! I would designate at least 1/4 acre for tortoises.

Tom said:
I recently saw some pics of a place like this in FL. So there is already a model to follow...
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Real estate is super cheap in my area right now! everyone move to Brevard County FLORIDA!!!!! lol

momo said:
spend it and get a house so i could take care of my parents and brother who lives with them. parents in wheel chairs , brother has lupus and 3 heart attacks. i would build a handicap house! thank you. lindy

harris said:
I'd light my cigars with 20 dollar bills.

like that too! lindy

Dont forget to hire a caregiver Lindy!
And you can hire me to set up your Handicap Accessable Floor Plan!! ;)

i would too! thank you. lindy

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
First off, I'd invest it until it had tripled...

Then I'd pay off my sister's and brother's houses, buy my wife a '56 T-bird (she's always wanted one), buy my daughter a brand-new Honda Civic (she needs a decent car), buy my mother-in-law a '46 Bentley (she has good taste) and get my '88 Ranger a new paint job.

And buy an Aldabra from A-man, and fix it up a 1st-rate environment, just 'cause I want one. :)

The rest I'd probably just squander... :rolleyes:

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
See, I am not greedy. I would be happy with say, $10,000. With the housing market the way it is right now in MI, there are foreclosures EVERYWHERE for $10,000 and less. I would love to be able to buy a home. We own our mobile home but it is in a park, I hate the environment for my kids, and I hate that we pay almost $400 a month making someone else's pockets fat and not getting anything for it. I want to get out of here so bad and get a real house so that I can take that extra money and put some of it away for my children to have cars and go to college and to be able to do things for them.

We make a decent income every month but we are far from rich, and my ex-husband did a good and thorough job of trashing my credit, so I currently can't get a home loan. It just stinks, because even with taxes and insurance and interest our payment would be cut at least in half of what we pay the stupid park. I miss my horses and my freedom. Blech.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Kristina said:
See, I am not greedy. I would be happy with say, $10,000. With the housing market the way it is right now in MI, there are foreclosures EVERYWHERE for $10,000 and less. I would love to be able to buy a home. We own our mobile home but it is in a park, I hate the environment for my kids, and I hate that we pay almost $400 a month making someone else's pockets fat and not getting anything for it. I want to get out of here so bad and get a real house so that I can take that extra money and put some of it away for my children to have cars and go to college and to be able to do things for them.

We make a decent income every month but we are far from rich, and my ex-husband did a good and thorough job of trashing my credit, so I currently can't get a home loan. It just stinks, because even with taxes and insurance and interest our payment would be cut at least in half of what we pay the stupid park. I miss my horses and my freedom. Blech.

Kind of what hubby and I just did. His job let him go last year. Took the money that was in his IRA and had it in the stock market which we all know where that has been going. He took a look at the housing area in Saint Cloud Fl where my parents live and decided he liked it there and just bought a short sale house that we will rent for 4 years until my youngest has graduated high school. then we will move to FL. Now we just have to find someone to rent it.

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
I chose invest, but I would spend some, save some and invest some. First purchase would be a house with a good sized yard and garden area lol

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Lucky for me, my bills and houses are paid for, so that's done. I would take a big chunk and fix up my two homes. Both are well over 100 yrs and have not had the care they deserve. Then there would be a tortoise building built and all those pens I am working on would be finished.

Another big chunk would go to pay off my children's school loans. They have each worked to pretty much support themselves as they have worked in school, so they have learned the lessons of having to work for what you want in life. Also their cars, would not buy them new ones, but would fix up the ones they have. I would buy them homes, but just basic ones for about 25,000. Just enough to give them a start and some breathing room. I'd be buying a like home for my sister. She has always worked, just never seems to get a head.

I would be buying myself a nice used car and be seeing all of you at the TFO meets. ;) There are a few more tortoises I could use for my programs, so look for UPS trucks at my house. Jeff would get his dentures and the surgery we are thinking he is needing, plus his own semi. The Vet would be loving me, as I would be sending him lots of work spaying and giving shots to in need cats and dogs. My village would be getting a wind generator.

I'd be taking a few trips like to see Hingebacks in the wild. :tort:

Do I have more money to spend?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I guess it depends on how much, but I would love to open a no kill dog/cat shelter here in california. and of course I would buy a huge amount of land and fly to florida and get an aldab from aldadman, and start breeding tortoises to reduce wild caught ones.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Hmmm. The amount really makes a big difference, but here goes.

First off I would have to have a sit down with my lovely wife because I would not be sending any money to Somalia. Unfortunately their is too much unrest and instability there right now, and although the need is great I just don't have confidence that throwing money over there would really help anything.

For Charity I would focus on the local children's hospital where I used to work. I would focus on end of life enjoyment issues for terminal kids and their families. Working with these kids is great and I would enjoy helping them fulfill some wishes in their final days. Not just the kids, but their parents and siblings as well.

But alas, I am a selfish person so only a portion would go to charity. I would invest in gold and silver, not the market. I would also save quite a bit of cold hard cash. I would buy a large plot of defensible land and spend my early retirement working on becoming self sustaining. I would build that log cabin I've always wanted. Not huge, but comfortable. Lots of outbuildings, some for toys and some for supplies. I would definitely have an old school underground bomb shelter of some kind. Also a large faraday cage on the premises. Lots of animals, both for sustainability and pets. I would have a private shooting range.

All of this would, of course, come after securing education for my kids

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
Pay off all my bills, that would be great by itself. Park the rest of the money some where that I could retire with out worry. Take a good vacation once a year and show my little people the rest of the big wonderful world. Just learn to breath with out stress. (the recession hit me hard)

Status
Not open for further replies.