what tortoise to get

kalboako

5 Year Member
Hello everyone.. I have a little clue regarding tortoise.. Im planning to get one but i am confused which tort to have.. Im looking for a tort that has full grown size about 7 to 10 inches.. Sulcata tor is cute but based on my research it can grow up to 30inches and its too big for me to have, Currently im living in a condo with garden space.. Hope you can help me.. Small tort that looks like sulcata if possible.. :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A Hermanni would probably fit the bill. A very personable tortoise and awfully pretty.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum! tortoises need large amounts of space an adult russian tortoises which is 5 inches needs a 4ft by8ft enclosure! russsian, greeks, hermann tortoises are small species. a sulcata can get 8 inches in the first year of life and need giant enclosures!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

How much space do you have for an indoor enclosure?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Where do you live? what type of space do you have for an outdoor enclosure also? Well the tortoise be able to be outside for part of the year?

kalboako

5 Year Member
I live in a condominium..im planning to get tort table first.. Currently building my house but will give it as a gift to my in-laws.. Space is my main concern.. So do.u guys think i should just get hermanni? How about red foot tort?

Thanks for helping me and for your reply :):tort:

Last edited:

yillt

I live in a condominium..im planning to get tort table first.. Currently building my house but will give it as a gift to my in-laws.. Space is my main concern.. So do.u guys think i should just get hermanni? How about red foot tort?

Maybe a turtle would be better. I don't know though. I don't know to much about the other species of tort except from mine, marginated. They are clever, funny, out going and they aren't little escape artists.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Hi kalboako,
where or in what type of climate do you live? If it's warm enough to let the tortoise outside the whole year (you can let them brumate if it's cold in winter), you don't need an indoor enclosure, that would be best for them.
Adult red foots are quite big, but hermannis are very cute! :)

TurtleBug

10 Year Member!
Im looking for a tort that has full grown size about 7 to 10 inches.. Sulcata tor is cute but based on my research it can grow up to 30inches and its too big for me to have, Currently im living in a condo with garden space.. Hope you can help me.. Small tort that looks like sulcata if possible.. :p

Patternless, or lightly patterned, Golden Greek tortoises have a similar look and coloring to sulcatas. Goldens can be quite outgoing and active, especially if captive bred. They are awesome little tortoises.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington

Are you giving the tortoise as a gift?

kalboako

5 Year Member
Hello guy do you know where i can buy tortoise here in the philippines?:) my petshop supplier cant find me one:) any breeder her?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Maybe a turtle would be better. I don't know though. I don't know to much about the other species of tort except from mine, marginated. They are clever, funny, out going and they aren't little escape artists.
I actually agree.
A smaller species turtle, like a painted turtle, would need 'less' space in the long run, but are just as bold and fun :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA

kalboako

5 Year Member