New to tortoises

Rob.harmon

Hey guys!!!
I would like to get a small tortoise species. My brother has a sulcata, and thy will get pretty big, so IM looking for something smaller:)
This would be my first ever tort!
Any suggestions?
Also...I am looking for something out if the ordinary, that you wouldn't see everyday.
Thanks!
Robert

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Like I said, Russian. But out of the ordinary is hard. Tortoises get expensive.

Rob.harmon

Idk.....like I would be willing to shell out 500-650 for a tort if I saved up lol.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Robert
Have you thought about pancake tort you can get a pair for about $600.00 and they are different I have a pair ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407746663.486910.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome:) Look at the Marginated or elongated. However, a hermanns, Greek or Russian is a much better beginner tort.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Robert
Everybody has torts with a domed shell . I thought you wanted something different . And pancake torts are also faster then other torts and more likely to run then panic and freeze . But it's your choise I understand . And good luck with your choise .

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You would do better with an ordinary tortoise for your first one. They become ordinary, as you call it, because they are available, they survive our mistakes, and a lot is known about their care. Their needs can be met.

Regular care becomes expensive over time. Get the kind you adore, but figure out first if you can meet its needs. Hermann's are high domed, beautiful, and not difficult. I'd recommend one.

Rob.harmon

Robert
Everybody has torts with a domed shell . I thought you wanted something different . And pancake torts are also faster then other torts and more likely to run then panic and freeze . But it's your choise I understand . And good luck with your choise .

Actually, I'm gonna look into pancakes:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What part of the world are you in? Your climate ought to have an influence on the species you choose too.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
What part of the world are you in? Your climate ought to have an influence on the species you choose too.
SD.

I think pancakes would be cool. Marinated are a favorite of mine, although I don't have any.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And what traits matter most to you. Maybe list them in order. Things like personality, appearance, hardiness, ease of maintenance, adult size, etc... You choose your own though, but feel free to include some of these if they seem appropriate to what matters most to you.

Rob.harmon

I want a tortoise that's:
6-14 inches
Active
Unique
Easy to care for
Friendly
And can live in groups:)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Hermanns are a great small beginner species. They can be very pretty too, I think. Pancakes are also very neat, but not so forgiving.

Have you considered a box turtle? They are only semi-aquatic, so it's not way different than a tortoise. They also come in lots of pretty colors and patterns.