What thickness birch plywood to use?

Torkoal#1

Location (City and/or State)
Dadeville
I want to build a 2x2x4 enclosure for my baby cherry head tortoise. Should I buy 1/2 inch or 3/4 Birch plywood?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I want to build a 2x2x4 enclosure for my baby cherry head tortoise. Should I buy 1/2 inch or 3/4 Birch plywood?
None of the above. Wood isn't a good material for building tortoise enclosures. There is no good way to protect it from all the moisture and humidity. I use pond shield for my outdoor night boxes, but its expensive and difficult to work with. If you are going to build your own use sheets of expanded PVC. You can buy one professionally made for less than the cost of materials now.

I use 11/32 regular plywood to build my boxes. Never seen "birch" plywood offered.

Torkoal#1

Dadeville
None of the above. Wood isn't a good material for building tortoise enclosures. There is no good way to protect it from all the moisture and humidity. I use pond shield for my outdoor night boxes, but its expensive and difficult to work with. If you are going to build your own use sheets of expanded PVC. You can buy one professionally made for less than the cost of materials now.

I use 11/32 regular plywood to build my boxes. Never seen "birch" plywood offered.
Screenshot_20220328-105650_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20220328-105659_Samsung Internet.jpgSo I've learned how birch is a good insulator as far as wood goes, and that a water based polyurethane is safe for reptiles and will allow the wood to hold in the humidity without taking any moisture into itself and warping. And there are differnt woods to get for all cuts you just need to know what your looking for. Luckily I've worked in the lumer industry and have some knowledge available from the job. The materials for expanded pvc are too expensive and to buy a pre-built one for 200-300id defntly a better deal but still to expensive when a well sealed and build wood enclosure should work fine. I'll use pond liner for the substrate and the shallow pond I'll frame into it. So the bottom will last a good while longer is suppose. I did look into the expanded pvc first as you mentioned it to me before amd I think it's a better idea yes but I'm jobless atm and only work a few hours to help a owner of agas station up the road from me sense we are out in the sticks not alot of business there lol.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Birch plywood is available at all of the Home Depots & Lowes around here, just that it’s usually located in the “nicer” wood section & used when making indoor cabinetry. It’s also super expensive compared to “construction” grade Pressure Treated plywood. They no longer use nasty chemicals when “pressure treating” wood, but it’s a good idea to seal/paint the wood. Always best to look for “kiln dried” after treatment (KDAT) vs “air dried” after treatment (ADAT). PT wood if not KDAT remains wet/moist for awhile and not good to seal (paint) etc. while wet.

Good luck - either way you go - wood isnt cheap these days..but is coming down in price.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Expanded PVC is the best to use. I wish I could use it but could find it nowhere in my city/state, even at sign shops. It really is the easiest most waterproof method compared to working with wood. It may look expensive, but the amount you spend comes out the same since you need several coats of countertop paint for wood.

I believe the factory is somewhere in AL, so you might be able to find it. Here's the link

Failing that, I have a few closed chambers made of 1/2" birch from HD that were sealed with Rustoleum coutertop paint that are holding up well. Any paint won't do, however, it needs to be the Rustoleum countertop paint, which can be effectively waterproof because it is epoxy based.

I do 2-3 main coats inside and outside, with a fourth coat along the bottom 8" or so up the walls. This is done after the box is assembled so that the paint seals the seams.

Polyurethane will break down eventually leak.

You might also consider going with up to 3x6' area so that you don't need to build another one in a year.

Torkoal#1

Dadeville
Expanded PVC is the best to use. I wish I could use it but could find it nowhere in my city/state, even at sign shops. It really is the easiest most waterproof method compared to working with wood. It may look expensive, but the amount you spend comes out the same since you need several coats of countertop paint for wood.

I believe the factory is somewhere in AL, so you might be able to find it. Here's the link

Failing that, I have a few closed chambers made of 1/2" birch from HD that were sealed with Rustoleum coutertop paint that are holding up well. Any paint won't do, however, it needs to be the Rustoleum countertop paint, which can be effectively waterproof because it is epoxy based.

I do 2-3 main coats inside and outside, with a fourth coat along the bottom 8" or so up the walls. This is done after the box is assembled so that the paint seals the seams.

Polyurethane will break down eventually leak.

You might also consider going with up to 3x6' area so that you don't need to build another one in a year.
Can you post pictures of your wooden enclosure habitats

Torkoal#1

Dadeville
Do you still have the tortoise you kept in them? And is there any spots that you noticed could use improvement or just looking into it further

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
These all have tortoises in them currently.

For me, finding the Countertop paint was key to sealing everything. I would still prefer to use PVC if I could.