what kind of baby box turtle is this?!?

ottoman

Location (City and/or State)
south jersey
i live in south jersey and have had over 70 turtles at one time when i was younger, even adult boxers which hibernated in a pen i built in my backyard, the rest were all painters, snappers, red ears, musk, red bellies, and yellow bellies, i let the water turtles go early fall due to lack of space, recently i found this little guy and im not sure which kinda baby boxer it is, ive never seen a baby boxer and just want to make sure what it is, im guessing its a baby eastern, its the size of a quarterimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be an eastern. Is there a lot of dark brown/black on the plastron? Some 3-toes are colorful like this, however, their plastrons are yellow/tan.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
What a beautiful little thing!!!!
A plastron picture would be helpful to those in the know.

ottoman

south jersey
hey everyone thanks for replying, when hes wet his shell is dark black and he has 3 yellow dots on his back, im also nervouse something is wrong, i moved him into a bigger home and he keeps burrowing, i know they do that but before he would come out and eat after i misted the tank but now he doesnt come out, i gotta get him and make sure he eats and soaks, is this normal?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, quite normal. Baby box turtles are very prone to being eaten, and they hide all the time as protection against that. Take him out every morning and soak him in warm water. Add a few black worms to the soaking water (or blood worms). While he's soaking chop up some fruit and veg into very tiny pieces and put a few more worms on top of the fruit/veg mixture, then place the feeding tile right in front of the opening to the hiding place. After his soak, put the baby by the food, but inside the hiding place. Then quickly move out of his sight.

It will get better as he becomes more comfortable in your company.

ottoman

south jersey
heres a better pic of him i just sent, he didnt eat today but there was alot of noise going on and it was way past the usual time i feed him

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
heres a better pic of him i just sent, he didnt eat today but there was alot of noise going on and it was way past the usual time i feed him

Sorry, I need to see the bottom.