What is with this weather!?!?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Is anyone else in or near Virginia going crazy with the weather lately? Here it is July and and its been cloudy, rainy and too cool to put my torts outside. Normally I'd enjoy the lack of heat (I am a snow lover at heart), but for the first time in my life I'm wishing it were hot so that my shelled babies could get some fresh air and sunshine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It seems to be a bit crazy all over the U.S. We're overcast, cloudy and rainy here where it's usually unbearably hot and sunny.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In Chicago, we had the gloom and rain last few weeks. Yesterday and today air so chilly that I have jeans, long sleeve shirt and socks on and windows closed. It's cold here. The weather all over has been really crazy this year. Luckily,my tort yard is all in the sun, well, when the sun is out, so they haven't missed many days outside.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I agree! We had 100+ tmeps and then we had 78. I don't get it! I am glad I caught this thread because we will be in Chicago next week and it never occurs to me that other places aren't 100+ degrees with 90% humidity like we are here in SETX! I better pack a sweatshirt and jeans!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I understand here in AZ we are having a cold spell also it's only been 108 degrees as a high .

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm in the Cleveland Ohio area. I know we are not known for our beautiful weather, but it has been sooo crappy here. Rain just about everyday and very cool for this time of year. Today was a bit of an improvement. We made it the entire 24 hour period without any rain and the sun was nice and bright. Still a bit chilly today. A high of 71.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I'm in the Cleveland Ohio area. I know we are not known for our beautiful weather, but it has been sooo crappy here. Rain just about everyday and very cool for this time of year. Today was a bit of an improvement. We made it the entire 24 hour period without any rain and the sun was nice and bright. Still a bit chilly today. A high of 71.
Is that cooler then 108 degrees ?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
In WA it is crazy hot. We have had a really warm early spring and record highs so far for summer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pretty normal here. Around 100 for our daily high, although our nights have been staying unusually warm at 70-72 when they usually drop to the low 60s. I've opened up the burrow for the big sulcatas and now it is a ghost town over there. I believe they spend 98% of their lives underground over there in Africa...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
LOL 71 being chilly. Over here in the UK that's quite nice and warm. Anything over it is bonus :D

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
LOL 71 being chilly. Over here in the UK that's quite nice and warm. Anything over it is bonus :D
It's actually warm for us usually as well. July and August are the only two months we get any kind of heat. So while 71 isn't chilly for us, it is below normal for July.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Sounds like Oregon has traded weather with a lot of you folks. We are used to doom and gloom and rain and right now I can't keep my critters cool enough outside so they are spending their days sleeping indoors and only going out at sunrise and sunset.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Sounds like Oregon has traded weather with a lot of you folks. We are used to doom and gloom and rain and right now I can't keep my critters cool enough outside so they are spending their days sleeping indoors and only going out at sunrise and sunset.
Lacey, have you gone out to Fall Creek Reservoir yet? You can swim off the backside face of the reservoir and it's easy to get to the water level climbing down the rocks. Good, clear water too. Although lots of folks may be fishing off of it this time of year. Worth checking out.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Lacey, have you gone out to Fall Creek Reservoir yet? You can swim off the backside face of the reservoir and it's easy to get to the water level climbing down the rocks. Good, clear water too. Although lots of folks may be fishing off of it this time of year. Worth checking out.

I've been up to Fall Creek for some shoots and done a fair bit of hiking to swimming holes above the reservoir. I'm pretty close to the Triangle Lake Rock Slides - but I'm sure everyone and their Grandma is up there now that school is out.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It's so wet here that the back yard squelches underfoot. That's typical in April or May from snow melt, but never this late. We've had the 3rd rainiest June on record, rainiest June 30 ever. The weeds are enjoying it, but I have to pick them instead of letting the tortoises graze.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It's so wet here that the back yard squelches underfoot. That's typical in April or May from snow melt, but never this late. We've had the 3rd rainiest June on record, rainiest June 30 ever. The weeds are enjoying it, but I have to pick them instead of letting the tortoises graze.
Same here.