What is this sound? (Short video)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I've heard this sound before but have never been able to capture is with media. What is this croaking sound?
She does it 3 times in this 15 second clip.

http://youtu.be/U0G9t3N2Qb0

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
Sorry, cannot help you with the sound, but what is she doing up there? I never knew leopards could climb that well ! Bonus points for the little acrobat :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I have a sulcata that I got from Kelly Hull that used to make that sound, only louder. I called it barking or croaking. When I asked him about it he was unfamiliar with what I was describing as I could not record it. Maybe one of these guys will be able to hear yours doing it and help out. My Nemo eventually stopped doing it. He did look just like Freckles when making the noise though. As near as I could tell he was in no distress, was pooping, peeing, eating and drinking properly. Just liked to bark or roak every so often. By the way, I love how Freckles climbs. I am in the planning stages of adding a second story to my leopard table because mine love to climb up and over their log as well. I had to build a dirt ramp so they wouldn't do face plant tumbles like Freckles.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
julietteq said:
Sorry, cannot help you with the sound, but what is she doing up there? I never knew leopards could climb that well ! Bonus points for the little acrobat :)

Omgosh she climbs constantly lol. She is the busy body of my trio. They are all three into everything and seem to enjoy bulldozing their enclosure into what looks like a miniature natural disaster but this Freckles from Arizona Sulcata is incredibly interesting because she is SO active. Beans has repeatedly tried to follow Freckles up on top of the hide but she isn't quite as agile.
I posted this in another thread too, it's Freckles climbing all over the hide. Lol

http://youtu.be/DzoH3m8z2OI

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
I know these strange sounds. My homeana youngster does "klick sound" sometimes. It hears like he/she bits on a hard basin. But the sound is still clear and short. I don't know what it mean.. Maybe his/her hinge is growing up or something like that maybe somebody here knows more..

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Saleama said:
I have a sulcata that I got from Kelly Hull that used to make that sound, only louder. I called it barking or croaking. When I asked him about it he was unfamiliar with what I was describing as I could not record it. Maybe one of these guys will be able to hear yours doing it and help out. My nemo eventually stopped doing it. He did look just like Freckles when making the noise though. As near as I could tell he was in no distress, was pooping, peeing, eating and drinking properly. Just liked to bark or roak every so often. By the way, I love how Freckles climbs. I am in the planning stages of adding a second story to my leopard table because mine love to climb up and over their log as well. I had to build a dirt ramp so they wouldn't do face plant tumbles like Freckles.

Interesting. I knew tortoises made squeaks sometimes, and males apparently grown like beasts when they are mating or mounting whatever happens to entertain them should a female not be around. I have no experience, only y'all's hilarious stories! Hahaha. But this sound intrigues me. Reminds me of the sound baby crocodiles make just much quieter and more subtle.
I've heard this sound out of Freckles and Watson. I can't recall hearing Beans but she may have, as I have definitely heard this sound plenty before. I feel like my hatchlings are doing well and are quite healthy and don't seem distressed, which is when I would assume to hear weird sounds from them lol. I don't know what this sound is but I am intrigued. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
I have 2 Sulcatas that love to "chatter", and I have a RF that whistles to the other RFs or torts in the other pens. I haven't heard the baby Leos making any noise but will definitely be on the lookout now. Batman the Leo I got from GregT LOVES to climb everything and anything. I finally removed his log hide thinking it would stop him from climbing and faceplanting several times a day but he has just moved on to anything that has some height. Dishes, plants, rocks, the other baby Leos!!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Elohi said:
Saleama said:
I have a sulcata that I got from Kelly Hull that used to make that sound, only louder. I called it barking or croaking. When I asked him about it he was unfamiliar with what I was describing as I could not record it. Maybe one of these guys will be able to hear yours doing it and help out. My nemo eventually stopped doing it. He did look just like Freckles when making the noise though. As near as I could tell he was in no distress, was pooping, peeing, eating and drinking properly. Just liked to bark or roak every so often. By the way, I love how Freckles climbs. I am in the planning stages of adding a second story to my leopard table because mine love to climb up and over their log as well. I had to build a dirt ramp so they wouldn't do face plant tumbles like Freckles.

Interesting. I knew tortoises made squeaks sometimes, and males apparently grown like beasts when they are mating or mounting whatever happens to entertain them should a female not be around. I have no experience, only y'all's hilarious stories! Hahaha. But this sound intrigues me. Reminds me of the sound baby crocodiles make just much quieter and more subtle.
I've heard this sound out of Freckles and Watson. I can't recall hearing Beans but she may have, as I have definitely heard this sound plenty before. I feel like my hatchlings are doing well and are quite healthy and don't seem distressed, which is when I would assume to hear weird sounds from them lol. I don't know what this sound is but I am intrigued. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Well if Nemo is any indication then it is nothing to worry about. He did it from about 2 months old till he was around 4 months old and has not done it since. So far, to my knowledge, neither of my Greg T babies has made a peep.
The clicking sound I have never heard from the torts but my boxies make it all the time when they are eating. Sounds like their jaws are clicking shut. I have heard this is normal, I think it is them "snapping" down to cut through the food, and is nothing to worry about.

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
http://youtu.be/DzoH3m8z2OI
[/quote]

Just watched the video, your enclosure looks great, can you post full pics of it so we can learn from it? I was a bit worried when I saw her fall down. Has she mastered the jump by now or has she learned that jumping is just not a tortoise thing :)

Just watched the video, your enclosure looks great, can you post full pics of it so we can learn from it?

Dont worry, I have found your other videos on youtube :)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
julietteq said:

Just watched the video, your enclosure looks great, can you post full pics of it so we can learn from it? I was a bit worried when I saw her fall down. Has she mastered the jump by now or has she learned that jumping is just not a tortoise thing :)

Just watched the video, your enclosure looks great, can you post full pics of it so we can learn from it?

Dont worry, I have found your other videos on youtube :)
[/quote]

Pictures [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391640847.207732.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391640883.707326.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391640976.740109.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391641025.107991.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391641063.373487.jpg
This last one is when I had cypress mulch in it, I've switched that for orchid bark after discovering Freckles sampled some of the cypress.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391641098.673422.jpg

More pictures at
http://www.facebook.com/theleotrio

Last edited by a moderator:

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
The sounds are only in that first short 15 second clip. My second video is dead silent because YouTube muted the song I used. Copyrighted material, that 'crazy train' by Ozzy, it was lolol

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I've heard all my torts and turtles make that sound at one point or another. In my head, I've always thought of it as the tort equivalent of grinding your teeth. Or, maybe it has something to do with natural mucus and saliva that's getting pushed between their beak.

At any rate, it's perfectly natural :)

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
My tortoise first did this a few days after I got him home, I researched at the time and some websites said he was calling to see if there were any other tortoises in the area. He does it from time to time now when he's hungry and looking for food.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Could you post a link to this website? I've never heard of a Leopard calling out to other Leopards before.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Mgridgaway said:
Could you post a link to this website? I've never heard of a Leopard calling out to other Leopards before.

I'll try and find it for you but this was over a year ago now. I'll have a look though :)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
My first thought was that she was making some sort of call but I second guessed myself since tortoises are not pack animals or even found in small groups. So the need for calls or communication beyond aggression seems unimportant? I don't know. But I know she was looking out to Beans. Beans was taking notice of her. She made the sound 3 times. It wasn't jaw clicking, I've heard that before. For those who were unable to hear it, the third and final croak is right before the end of the clip.
I am inexperienced so my perspective is just what I've seen and heard from these 3 little hatchlings and I have a lot to learn but I do spend quite a bit of time observing their behavior. They are very entertaining.
She is 7 months old now. Her buddies are 5 months old.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Mgridgaway said:
I've heard all my torts and turtles make that sound at one point or another. In my head, I've always thought of it as the tort equivalent of grinding your teeth. Or, maybe it has something to do with natural mucus and saliva that's getting pushed between their beak.

At any rate, it's perfectly natural :)

I was going to say the same thing, good thing I read the responses first. I think it is the top and bottom beak rubbing together, as they slid past each other. Look really close and see if she can make the noise with out shutting her mouth.