What is this growing on my Stinkpot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I purchased a pair of stinkpot musk turtles this past Spring. I've never kept aquatic turtles before. They live in my EBT pond. It has a pump with a little creek, and is filtered by a biofilter and a UV sterilizer. The male was "fuzzy" when I got him, but I think he has more of it now. It almost looks like his right eye is hazy as well, but I know for sure he can see out of it. Does anyone know what this is? Is it a problem?
IMG_1365s.jpg

IMG_1367s.jpg

IMG_1360s.jpg

IMG_1368s.jpg

My female (below) is in the same pond, and she is fine.
IMG_1359s.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have something similar to that growing on some of the water turtles in my pond. I added an anti-fungal treatment to the pond and it cleared up except on one turtle. I'm suspecting this turtle is the carrier. If I can ever catch it, I'm going to treat it separately. It is some sort of fungus growth and can't be healthy for the turtle.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
emysemys said:
I have something similar to that growing on some of the water turtles in my pond. I added an anti-fungal treatment to the pond and it cleared up except on one turtle. I'm suspecting this turtle is the carrier. If I can ever catch it, I'm going to treat it separately. It is some sort of fungus growth and can't be healthy for the turtle.
Do you remember what you used, and was it fish safe?

Thanks,
Steve

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I believe that is an "Oomycete" (pronounced o-o-my-seat), they're closely related to fungi, but are slightly different. Yvonne said she cleared hers up with a fungicide, I'm sure it would work for you too. Oomycetes commonly parasitize turtles and other aquatic/semi-aquatic animals.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Redstrike said:
I believe that is an "Oomycete" (pronounced o-o-my-seat), they're closely related to fungi, but are slightly different. Yvonne said she cleared hers up with a fungicide, I'm sure it would work for you too. Oomycetes commonly parasitize turtles and other aquatic/semi-aquatic animals.
I'm familiar with Oomycetes! The "water molds"! In addition to assexual reproduction, they have a unique type of spore called an oospore, that allows them to mass propagate through water. Several fungi in that family are big agricultural diseases: phytophthora, pythium, and downy mildew. I know how to deal with them on plants, and they are tough to kill.

But I don't think any of my agricultural chemicals will be safe for my stinkpot, so I hope Yvonne can steer me in the right direction.
Thanks for the ID, Redstrike!

Steve

jeff musk

5 Year Member
I use a betadine rinse on my musk it is anti microbial and it seems to take care of everything and not hurt him. It even cured some spots on shell my painted turtle had. Just pour on rub in and then rinse. I would do it every couple days for a week or so

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Thanks everyone,
I'll try the betadine rinse first.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.