What is the theory of compact florescent bulbs (CFB) causing blindness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toledo Ohio
I heard the light does not cause the pupil to retract allowing the UVB and ultra violet light to enter directly enter the eye causing the damage? If a CFB is used next to a day time basking light the pupil would retract and it should be fine. It just seems funny that these bulbs result with so much damage but the big time names in the industry continue to sell them. Just asking my sullie loves sitting under his MVB.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its similar to snow blindness. It clears up once the light is turned off.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Back when squirt was just a little 35 gram hatchling ,we had a nice bright UVA/B Zoo Med Compact floresent 10.0 and a 100 watt repti halogen basking bulb. within one week of running that set up i noticed his eyes just didnt seem right and he kept rubbing at them constantly with his arms. Thats when I got on here and read about how im not suppose to be running its because it is causing blindness. Brought all of it back to petsmart and told them that it was causing blindness and got a 100 watt zoomed MVB. That solved all of my problems. not quite sure of the theory behind it...

Status
Not open for further replies.