What is the best way to grow grasses for my tortoises indoors for this winter?

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
I have 10lbs of the premium pasture mix from GrowOrganic.com and I was wondering what is the best method for keeping grass indoors during the winter. I used to use a coil UVB bulb for growing grasses indoors, but I started having trouble seeing from them (go figure). So, I threw out the coil bulbs . It's too cold for me to start planting anything outside just yet, but I really want them to have more fresh young tender grass in their diet as opposed to tons of rehydrated hay. I want their diet to be as close to their natural diet as it can be and I want it to be appealing to them as well. Rehydrated hay isn't the end of the world, but I'm sure they'd love some fresh bright green grass.

mcory

Find wheat berries ... I got some at whole foods and the grow quick!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It will sprout fine indoors, but with shallow soil, it doesn't do much for me after that. If you use pots or tubs with at least 12" or more of soil you will be able to get many cuttings from it. The better your lighting the better it will grow.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
julietteq said:
I use seedtrays and seed the grass in there. I rotate the trays so none of them is on the table for more then 4 days. Works brilliantly, not just with grass but also with other eadible plants. The torts also love the variation. It gives them something to explore each day

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-84008.html

Do this, myself...it works VERY well! :cool:

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I just toss organic bird seed into the substrate :p I'm lazy, and as long as you cover it so the torts can't see it, it'll grow.