What is THE best substrate for indoor enclosures?

Flowingfins

Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in florida
I have the wrong substrate in my Russians tank(I am also upgrading him to a tortoise table, and eventually outside) it's playsand and coconut fiber mixed together. I can't come to a conclusion on what the best substrate is. What is THE best substrate for him? Thanks everyone in advance:tort:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I prefer coco Coir. You keep it moist and it is great for digging. I top it with coco husk in the water and food area for easier clean up. Others like orchids bark too. As long as it hold moisture for humidity, it is your preference. Some use top soil or simply dirt from outside.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
This comes down to personal preference at a certain level. I like coconut coir The best. But in my indoor enclosure I mix it with orchid bark. it is much easier to say what is not a good substrate such as sand, pine or cedar shavings, newspaper etc.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Coco coil! ! !

I also use tiles but flip them over use the back side. where I put their water dish.

0009.JPG

Flowingfins

Somewhere in florida
I didn't see you post bouaboua. I like the idea with the tiles. I feed him on a ceramic plate. Just out of curiosity, what type of plant is that? Do your torts eat it? Timmy attacks aloe plants and I want to find an alternative.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think the plant in the picture is a spider plant. I have those in my Russian enclosure. I also have pothos, and Dracaena, and Jade. Russians are notoriously hard on plants. Mine tour one right out of the pot and drug it across the enclosure :) you can try herb plants, the tortoise won't eat them and they might hide under them instead.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I like a mix of plain topsoil and coco coir. Gives good moisture retention and has enough firmness for walking or digging. Most top soil will have a small amount of sand in the composition, but not enough to cause an issue. I like to keep their food on a slate tile to avoid the substrate sticking to the food, how ever the tort will often have other ideas.

Good luck.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You don't ask this question in a tortoise forum, it's like asking who the best super hero is in a comic book store, guaranteed to start a fight.
I also like coco coir.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
You don't ask this question in a tortoise forum, it's like asking who the best super hero is in a comic book store, guaranteed to start a fight.
I also like coco coir.

I thought this was settled last time...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer coco coir for young russians and orchid bark for older ones. Plain yard dirt can work too. That's what they will live on once they move outside, right?

You can buy orchid bark or coco coir much cheaper in bulk at any nursery or gardening store. Usually the chain hardware stores don't have coco coir.