what is it? turtle or tortoise?

justin hardy

Water=turtle
land= tortoise.
by any chance does he have red stripes on the side of his head?

looks like a red eared slider

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Janice welcome to the TFO from AZ . Xoxo = kisses this old man will take all he can get thank you . I too think it a RES . They are great .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Janice. Your little red ear slider turtle (Trachemys scripta elegans) needs to be set up in a pond-like environment. Water turtles can't swallow their food unless they are submerged under the water.

Last edited:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Water=turtle
land= tortoise.
by any chance does he have red stripes on the side of his head?

looks like a red eared slider

A tortoise can be called a turtle but a turtle can not be called a tortoise.....however, those of us who are OCD about the two labels can become very miffed at the mere mumble of turtle when referring to a tortoise.....lol...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have found it very confusing when tortoises are sometimes called turtles because I have always thought that tortoises were land animals and turtles always water (or amphibious) but suppose there's always exceptions to the rules. Why can tortoises be called turtles and not vice versa?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Lyn.
In taxonomy, the turtles are the Order Testudines including many extinct forms and all current turtles, tortoises and terrapins. So they are all turtles.
The suborder Crypotodira includes all living forms (and some extinct groups) except the sidenecked turtles, which are more primitive.
There are various Superfamiles in the Cryptodira, each containing a group of related turtles.
One of these is the Testudinoidea which includes tortoises and the related and more land adapted box turtles, pond turtles and similar animals.
The family Testudinidae includes the true tortoises only.
So tortoises are a group within the turtles, not the other way around.
All sounds a bit Welsh, hey ffrindiau
(sorry my taxonomy is a lot better than my Welsh.)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Diolch yn fawr Adam. Wow that's some family tree! I would say it's all Greek to me but wouldn't want to leave out all the other species, but I've got the main point.
Many thanks again for explaining. I learn something new everyday here!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
A tortoise can be called a turtle but a turtle can not be called a tortoise.....however, those of us who are OCD about the two labels can become very miffed at the mere mumble of turtle when referring to a tortoise.....lol...
Yep, someone near me has a 'pet turtle' on craigslist. They won't change it even though I told them 3 times that its a russian tortoise. I mostly mentioned it because i didn't to see it put into someones aquarium and because he'd find it a home faster but nope. it's still on craigslist.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yep, someone near me has a 'pet turtle' on craigslist. They won't change it even though I told them 3 times that its a russian tortoise. I mostly mentioned it because i didn't to see it put into someones aquarium and because he'd find it a home faster but nope. it's still on craigslist.
Well, technically a tortoise is a type of turtle, but not the other way around.
But I understand the potential problem.