what if im gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
washington state
what should i do with a baby red foot if i have to be gone for a couple of days and cant have anyone there to watch it? like should i feed it a lot and it will be fine? or automatic light switches? need help :(

tortle

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
I'm guessing it doesn't graze yet because it's a baby. You should really have someone atleast come over once a day.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Exactly how long are you going to be gone (time of departure and time of return) and how baby are we talking? Like 6 months or less?

If its older than that, and in reasonably good health, I say a juvenile could be left with some extra food the morning you left and if you cam back the following evening, it would be fine. If there's an extra day in there, then perhaps have someone come over and check. But IMHO, 24-48 hrs without eating is not going to seriously harm a healthy tortoise.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I thought this thread was gonna be a little more philosophical.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Put some opuntia cactus pads or planted edible plants in there for it to munch on. Though not optimal it can go a day or two without a water change and a checkup. Timers for the lights and a thermostats for heating elements (not basking lights) work great. Best case scenario is to have someone stop in but this isn't always possible.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
well we have a lot of plans to go places in the summer and its pretty young, im just thinking because im going to look at them soon. and wanted to plan ahead. i was just thinking getting timers for the lights, putting extra food, and have my brother check on them once a day and change the water. and what do you mean "more philosophical"

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
austinSOLO said:
and what do you mean "more philosophical"

As in like, "What happens when I die / whose going to care for my tortoise then?" kind of a pondering...

That's not us poking fun at you per say. Just reading the title of the thread and misinterpreting its meaning.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
StudentoftheReptile said:
austinSOLO said:
and what do you mean "more philosophical"

As in like, "What happens when I die / whose going to care for my tortoise then?" kind of a pondering...

That's not us poking fun at you per say. Just reading the title of the thread and misinterpreting its meaning.

oh haha i have a long time until i die :D

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Food is the last thing to worry about. You can easily plant something in a little tubberware and he can graze on that when your gone for a few days. But as for the lights and everything I would be worried about leaving them on and something happening to not only my tort but to my house. I just dont trust all the lights and other equipment to leave it on a timer for 2-3 days without anyone going there and checking up on it. He'll be fine without heat for 2-3 days but it depends entirely on how warm your house is because if nobody is there I'm sure no heater will be on and it would most likely get quite chilly in there.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
StudentoftheReptile said:
dmmj said:
I thought this thread was gonna be a little more philosophical.

I kinda thought the same thing!:p

I though that as well... Maybe we are just getting old.

You can always ask you vet if he/she could watch you tortoise. It wouldn't cost too much.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Food is the last thing to worry about. You can easily plant something in a little tubberware and he can graze on that when your gone for a few days. But as for the lights and everything I would be worried about leaving them on and something happening to not only my tort but to my house. I just dont trust all the lights and other equipment to leave it on a timer for 2-3 days without anyone going there and checking up on it. He'll be fine without heat for 2-3 days but it depends entirely on how warm your house is because if nobody is there I'm sure no heater will be on and it would most likely get quite chilly in there.

well my house stays at about 73 but it is warmer in my room because i leave the blinds open and the sun goes through and heats it up, but i think i could just have my brother turn on the lights, mist and feed everyday

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
If your brother is there then definitely have him do it as long as you think he is trustworthy enough to do all that stuff. And since its a baby redfoot it should be fairly humid in his cage so a constant temp at 73 in the house would mean its definitely cooler in his cage and with no heat for days at a time then he would most likely get sick.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
Eweezyfosheezy said:
If your brother is there then definitely have him do it as long as you think he is trustworthy enough to do all that stuff. And since its a baby redfoot it should be fairly humid in his cage so a constant temp at 73 in the house would mean its definitely cooler in his cage and with no heat for days at a time then he would most likely get sick.

well like i said it is warmer than 73 in my room because it is upstairs, and the uva/uvb bulb will be turned on

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
austinSOLO said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

well like i said it is warmer than 73 in my room because it is upstairs, and the uva/uvb bulb will be turned on

Yeah you'll be good as long as someone is there to switch them on and off.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
Eweezyfosheezy said:
austinSOLO said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

Yeah you'll be good as long as someone is there to switch them on and off.
okay thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.