What emotion are these tortoises expressing?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises don't really have emotions. My leopard will do that sometimes when I scratch his back, but mostly will do it when he tries to go under a tree branch and it touches his back. He is either scratching himself, or fighting it off is my guess.

OctopusMagic

5 Year Member
Philadelphia
My tortoise did the carpet dance the first time he was set on the carpet, so I think it was just a new texture to him and he wanted to experience the full sensation. The first video I think the tortoise was not happy, because my tortoise gets angry when I do exactly what that owner did.

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
So does mine & my tortoise will do that without in the front of his enclosure without me touching him. That's why I'm so curious.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most tortoises will do that. My sister and I call it the hootchy kootchy dance. I have always figured it was a response to finding something to rub an itchy shell on. But I really doubt anyone knows for sure. Even water turtles will do that.

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
Since, tortoises and turtles do this (some while having their shells rubbed and some on their own) that makes me think its some kind of emotional response because ALL these tortoises wouldn't be doing this for no reason. My tort will only when I rub in specific spots on his shell so, I thought maybe this was a more sensitive area of the shell and i was tickling him or he was getting mad and he was trying to burrow away from me. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure there is a reason for this motion.