What do you grow your seeds in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
What does everyone plant their weed seeds in and have success? I looked at organic compost but wasn't sure, then thought topsoil? I don't have a garden and my mums garden has had slug pellets down in the past so that's a no go. Maybe I could just go out somewhere where there is no chemicals an dig down and "borrow" some soil :D

SBeanie

5 Year Member
California
I have had success in growing russian tortoise seed mix, onions, clovers, and a mix of flowers in just a bag of plain top soil (no additives, fertilizer or plant food) :) it works pretty well :)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I use a Sulcata weed seed mix and plant it outside in my soil. The weeds have grown like crazy.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
SBeanie said:
I have had success in growing russian tortoise seed mix, onions, clovers, and a mix of flowers in just a bag of plain top soil (no additives, fertilizer or plant food) :) it works pretty well :)

Cool, is hat indoors??
I don't have a garden at the moment so worry nothing will grow indoors so wanted to get soil right to start with. Lol

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
I use a Sulcata weed seed mix and plant it outside in my soil. The weeds have grown like crazy.

Is there a specific sulcata weed seed mix that I can buy???

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Last winter I grew seeds for my leopard in totes right in coconut coir. This winter I just through seeds in his coconut coir substrate. It grows pretty good and quick. My only problem, I forget to water them as much as they need.

SBeanie

5 Year Member
California
laney said:
SBeanie said:

Cool, is hat indoors??
I don't have a garden at the moment so worry nothing will grow indoors so wanted to get soil right to start with. Lol

Yep it's all indoors. I have it in a windowsill that gets 6-8 hours of sun per day and I spray it often. image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
I have two 9" plant saucers with a mix of organic soil and coir in the enclosure with toofless. I plant 1/2 of the dish at a time so that when the planted half looks like it has been picked over I can plant the other side to grow new grass.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
This is my latest experiment, and seems to be working. I like to grow the plants in Emrys' enclosure, where they'll get the effects of the light, because I can't keep anything alive otherwise!

If I grow them in the enclosure, he eats them as soon as he sees them. I had a little greenhouse, but he learned how to get into it. This tank seems to be the perfect solution, filled with topsoil:

n1v1iw.jpg

Only just starting out, but they're clearly getting the light and Emrys can't reach them!

30dgd4n.jpg

SBeanie

5 Year Member
California
cherylim said:
This is my latest experiment, and seems to be working. I like to grow the plants in Emrys' enclosure, where they'll get the effects of the light, because I can't keep anything alive otherwise!

If I grow them in the enclosure, he eats them as soon as he sees them. I had a little greenhouse, but he learned how to get into it. This tank seems to be the perfect solution, filled with topsoil:

n1v1iw.jpg

Only just starting out, but they're clearly getting the light and Emrys can't reach them!

30dgd4n.jpg

That's a great idea. I tried to grow some in sky's enclosure but she has a hard time on waiting haha but that would work. :D

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Thanks, they are all great ideas :)

I have ordered some soil from a tortoise website that is safe and has added calcium only, I will try this to start as well as trying some in the coir in the enclosure. The soil I ordered was really expensive but none of the garden centres could confirm whether or not things were added to their top soil so didn't want to risk it for now. But if I can get some to grow in the coir that's brilliant :)

Status
Not open for further replies.