What are your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston / Webster, TX
I know Darwin is still to young to know for sure but can any of the experts tell me if Darwin is still looking more like a Daisy? Also could someone please explain the difference between male and female as far as size, temperament and personality? Thank you!

Attachments

• butt1.JPG
    butt1.JPG
    970.3 KB · Views: 98
  • butt2.JPG
    butt2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
  • butt3.JPG
    butt3.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 98

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I'm certainly no expert either lol, but it looks male to me also. :)

Sent from my M865 using TortForum mobile app

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I suck at sexing but am guessing female.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's too early for me to tell.

Males grow much bigger. 50-60 pounds is a good size female. They seldom top 80. Males can get up to 250 pounds in some cases, with 100-150 being the norm.

In general, but not always, males are more curious, fearless, pushy, nosy, and interested interaction with their people. Many females take a more passive role. I have found that when housed individually, they are all much more interested in their people than tortoise housed in groups. I know a great big girl named RV that lives with no other tortoises and she acts very male-like. She was as curious and interested as any male I've ever been around.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Tom said:
It's too early for me to tell.

Males grow much bigger. 50-60 pounds is a good size female. They seldom top 80. Males can get up to 250 pounds in some cases, with 100-150 being the norm.

In general, but not always, males are more curious, fearless, pushy, nosy, and interested interaction with their people. Many females take a more passive role. I have found that when housed individually, they are all much more interested in their people than tortoise housed in groups. I know a great big girl named RV that lives with no other tortoises and she acts very male-like. She was as curious and interested as any male I've ever been around.
Thanks Tom, Wow! I didn't realize males got that much larger then females. I really don't care if Darwin is male or female, I just hope he/she will have a good personality!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TortyTom said:
At what age doe's their plastron start to concave if it is a male?

As early as 3 or 4 years, and I've seen it as late as 8 or 9.

To me the easiest indicator is the tail. Males have very long tails and they tend to lay them flat against their thighs. Females have tiny little nubs.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Tom said:
TortyTom said:
At what age doe's their plastron start to concave if it is a male?

As early as 3 or 4 years, and I've seen it as late as 8 or 9.

To me the easiest indicator is the tail. Males have very long tails and they tend to lay them flat against their thighs. Females have tiny little nubs.

Thanks a bunch, Tom!

Status
Not open for further replies.