What are these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
I have two turtles i have been trying to figurr out what they actually are. They were given to me over thr summer. So i really have no info on them. Besides that they are adults. They live outside in my pond. One is male and one is female... Any ideas? Thanks!
View attachment 32806Male
View attachment 32808Male
View attachment 32809Female
View attachment 32810Female
View attachment 32812Female
Sorry i dont have under shots or measurements. I took these a while back. I will have to find and catch them in the pond! Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The male looks like a melanistic red ear slider.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
diaboliqueturtle said:
I don't know about the male, but the female is a mississipi map turtle. They're both gorgeous :)

emysemys said:

That's exactly what they each are. You can see the Slider shell morphology in the first specimen, and also a hint of the red-ear. Melanism is quite common in older adult male sliders.

The female is a pretty great representation of a Mississippi Map turtle. The skin and shell color fluctuate based on the range of the animal, but the clear pupil without a transverse bar and the post-orbital crescent reaching beneath the eye are trademark signs of a Graptemys pseudogeographica kohnii.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I was pretty sure the female was a map... But wasnt quite sure. The male i thought was a red ear but the shell color was throwing me off!

theTurtleRoom said:
diaboliqueturtle said:
[/align]I don't know about the male, but the female is a mississipi map turtle. They're both gorgeous :)

emysemys said:

That's exactly what they each are. You can see the Slider shell morphology in the first specimen, and also a hint of the red-ear. Melanism is quite common in older adult male sliders.

The female is a pretty great representation of a Mississippi Map turtle. The skin and shell color fluctuate based on the range of the animal, but the clear pupil without a transverse bar and the post-orbital crescent reaching beneath the eye are trademark signs of a Graptemys pseudogeographica kohnii.

What is melanism?

theTurtleRoom said:
diaboliqueturtle said:
I don't know about the male, but the female is a mississipi map turtle. They're both gorgeous :)

emysemys said:

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
theTurtleRoom said:
Decent explanation on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanism

In sliders, those that have it often don't exhibit it until later in life. It is quite common among older males. Some females will exhibit it, as well.

There is also a new morph in the works here and in China. My buddy has a small group of females growing up now and there should be some hatchlings soon. They have already been produced in China.

Not my pics!
8f727e4dd025c7e6237477b7543990a5.jpg

6dd69334dadedaeb832ef10658e15ff7.jpg

theTurtleRoom said:

In sliders, those that have it often don't exhibit it until later in life. It is quite common among older males. Some females will exhibit it, as well.

This is one I had a few years ago that sadly did not make it. It was different than the charcoal morph in my last post but cool to see.
e444457a3d49b4a3392110df8f3e95c4.jpg

29eb7f23fc10105787053b1fc398d730.jpg

b82bffaf9ec4b57bc6ef2e0125ad5ae8.jpg

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
so will those melanistic-ish hatchlings eventually turn light green as they age? :cool:

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
srod said:
so will those melanistic-ish hatchlings eventually turn light green as they age? :cool:

No, they stay black.

Not my pics!
37f1af974cd2bcc7be659af1e36a3b92.jpg

8f5d0aa9ccde5e30f0d82958d0effd64.jpg

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
theTurtleRoom said:

Ohhh. I never knew that. I was able to get more pics of the male today. He was right at top of the pond when i went out to feed. So i snatched him up! Lol
View attachment 32957
View attachment 32958
View attachment 32959
View attachment 32960

His shell has actually changed some since the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
lori12386 said:
Ohhh. I never knew that. I was able to get more pics of the male today. He was right at top of the pond when i went out to feed. So i snatched him up! Lol

His shell has actually changed some since the summer.

Handsome big boy!

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Nice, gerard! Wow, you've really got some things rolling!

Status
Not open for further replies.