Welcome home Timmy - is this normal behaviour?

Timmy22653

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello all,

Today’s the day! We finally brought home Timmy (inherited from elderly family member)

We gave him the run of the garden so he can explore and get used to his new home. We have placed 4 hides around the garden for him. He also has a house where he’ll sleep.

We put him inside one of the hides so he knows it’s his space - but he has been hiding in the corner of it for about an hour now.

Is this normal? I understand he will be scared. We have moved inside (still keeping an eye on him from window to give him space in case he is terrified)

Any thoughts? Or advice on how we can help him settle? Really worried for my new little guy! Just want him to be happy! Thank you

Attachments

• E07EEB38-E5F9-42B7-830C-AAD766B7F2F6.jpeg
    E07EEB38-E5F9-42B7-830C-AAD766B7F2F6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

Timmy22653

UK
Update - he is out and about having a looking around.

Perhaps I’m the problem and need to give him some space? While watching him from the side lines?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It will take a couple weeks for him to 'own' the space. Once he figures out he's safe and food and water are provided he'll become more comfortable. Also, he has to get used to seeing you out and about in his garden, so don't hide from him, just go about your business and ignore him.

Timmy22653

UK
It will take a couple weeks for him to 'own' the space. Once he figures out he's safe and food and water are provided he'll become more comfortable. Also, he has to get used to seeing you out and about in his garden, so don't hide from him, just go about your business and ignore him.
Thank you! That’s very helpful! We will continue as normal :)