"We are really gonna be in trouble when they learn how to jump..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Yesterday morning I was making my rounds before I went to work, and I did not immediately see my baby Redfoot in her hide or running around the pen. I was almost starting to panic, when...

I had bought some plants on clearance and they were just sitting around. I stuck an althea in the baby pen to add some extra shade. This is what I found.

KristinasPictures3865.jpg

KristinasPictures3864.jpg

KristinasPictures3867.jpg

How in the world did that baby get in there?!?!

She is a CLIMBER. After I "rescued" her from the pot, I was sitting on the edge of the Russian pen and she was trying to climb the corner to get to me. What a naughty, naughty little thing! She is gonna be trouble as she gets older!!!

I called my husband outside to see where she was. He looked at me, grinned, and said, "We are really gonna be in trouble when they learn how to jump!"

I have my hands full with him, too. ;)

(The pot has since been removed to cut down on temptation.)

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Wow how scary but cute :) I can only see a glimps of your tort pen and it looks neat, could you post a full view?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Don't worry about an adult RF climbing in pots, they just knock them over. I have a hibiscus that they give a good pruning to last week after they decided horizontal plants are best.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Wow how scary but cute :) I can only see a glimps of your tort pen and it looks neat, could you post a full view?

Sure thing, here they are, a couple different views :)

KristinasPictures3845.jpg

The cinder block pen is where the baby Redfoot is, she has a nice big red rose bush in there now too. The wooden one is the Russian pen, and the picket fence is where the adult Redfoots are.

KristinasPictures3810.jpg

KristinasPictures3818.jpg

KristinasPictures3820.jpg

Isa said:
Wow, how did she get up there?! It seems like you have a little climber queen :D

I have seen her 8" at least off the ground before. She is a scary little shelled monster, lol.

Itort said:
Don't worry about an adult RF climbing in pots, they just knock them over. I have a hibiscus that they give a good pruning to last week after they decided horizontal plants are best.

I intended on putting it in the ground, lol, just hadn't gotten around to it. I have a hibiscus that is going to have to grow some more before they have access to it, or it will be gone. The baby ate two good sized hostas in very little time even.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Nice set-up. I love the hides and plants and rocks :) Thanks for sharing.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Your tortoise is worst then my Eddie. :D :p Getting into trouble almost everyday. ;)

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Cute :]

Man, last time i checked, you were barely working on the russian pen! Good job :]

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
you have a beautiful setup. I'm grateful RV doesn't climb . . .

thank you for sharing

teri

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I couldn't believe that when I saw it. I wish you could spy on her just to see how she did it. Amazing!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Wow that is crazy!! A little monkey ;)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am assuming she scaled the landscape timbers by pushing on them and the pot at the same time. I have seen her scrambling up the back corner in between her pen and the adult Redfoot pen a couple of times. She is a goose, lol. She is actually 2 1/2 years old or so, she was bought as a 3 month old from a breeder in Texas and shipped to Michigan (according to the previous owner.) She was kept all that time in a dry ten gallon aquarium and fed solely on ZooMed pellets. It only took me three feedings to get her eating fruits and greens. Imagine how different that pen feels to her, after all that time in a TEN GALLON!!! Such a satisfying feeling for me, that I could give her that.

She has grown visibly in the month and a half or so that I have had her. So has my little male - he has gained about an inch, and his waist is narrowing, and his tail getting longer, and plastron more concave. Definitely a boy!

You know what I love best about the new growth? It is SMOOTH! (happy dance!)

I love her, she is so friendly. I offer her pansy blossoms and she comes running and takes them right out of my hand. I sit and hand feed the big ones worms and things, too, it is so neat to be down on their level, having them take food right from your lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.