water temperature for red-eared slider

CaliA

Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
Hey! :)
recently we got a red-eared slider, a girl - Judy
I would like to know what temperature should the water in the aquarium be?
and what plant can I put in the aquarium so as not to harm Judy (and is it possible to place any plants in the water at all)
thanks!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
RES are not real particular about temps. I would probably try 70-75 maybe 80. Make sure he has a basking platform that he can haul himself up on and a decent basking bulb, incandescent 65 watt or so. Plants are a waste of money and time in a tank with RES, she will constantly dig them up and mess with them. You didn't say how big she is, old? If she's a baby you'll want to make the temps a little warmer
Also you will get more water turtle people to see your post if you post stuff about Judy here...

A moderator will move it for you. There's good advice there...

CaliA

New Orleans
RES are not real particular about temps. I would probably try 70-75 maybe 80. Make sure he has a basking platform that he can haul himself up on and a decent basking bulb, incandescent 65 watt or so. Plants are a waste of money and time in a tank with RES, she will constantly dig them up and mess with them. You didn't say how big she is, old? If she's a baby you'll want to make the temps a little warmer
Also you will get more water turtle people to see your post if you post stuff about Judy here...

A moderator will move it for you. There's good advice there...

She is quite mature, about three years old.
and yes it has a bathing bridge as well as a UV lamp. :)