about cuttle bone

Dragon

Location (City and/or State)
michagin
ok i have a question, its proubly already been answered but so far i havent been able to find it. when i had the red eared slider they had cuddle bones for red eared sliders and they said NOT to use cuttle bones that are sold for birds....so do i get the same cuttlebone i got for the red eared slider or are there cuttebones for tortoises? and now that i know her substructure should be moist i sprinkled yesterdays water on her substructure before i got her frish...and i read that for tort you take off the hard side. anything else i should know ,

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
ok i have a question, its proubly already been answered but so far i havent been able to find it. when i had the red eared slider they had cuddle bones for red eared sliders and they said NOT to use cuttle bones that are sold for birds....so do i get the same cuttlebone i got for the red eared slider or are there cuttebones for tortoises? and now that i know her substructure should be moist i sprinkled yesterdays water on her substructure before i got her frish...and i read that for tort you take off the hard side. anything else i should know ,
I always use the cuttlefish bone for birds, but take the plastic or metal cage clips off. My tort usually ignores it and it can go untouched for many months.

I give him a small pinch of calcium powder twice a week so he's OK, but I got the cuttlefish bone to help keep his beak trimmed.

I don't know if there are any sold just for torts in the USA, I've never seen any in the UK. One of our pet stores sells mineral blocks for torts and I bought one years ago - also for his beak - my tort hasn't used that at all.

I don't know if the hard side must be removed - I have done this because it can be quite sharp, but it's fiddly and I rarely manage to get it all off.
Hopefully another member will be able to answer that for you.

Dragon

michagin
I always use the cuttlefish bone for birds, but take the plastic or metal cage clips off. My tort usually ignores it and it can go untouched for many months.

I give him a small pinch of calcium powder twice a week so he's OK, but I got the cuttlefish bone to help keep his beak trimmed.

I don't know if there are any sold just for torts in the USA, I've never seen any in the UK. One of our pet stores sells mineral blocks for torts and I bought one years ago - also for his beak - my tort hasn't used that at all.

I don't know if the hard side must be removed - I have done this because it can be quite sharp, but it's fiddly and I rarely manage to get it all off.
Thank you...if your tort is doing fine with the bird cuttle bone sissy should do well...I thought i read some where that your suppose to shave off the hard side....but I dont know where i read it....and iv found most of the reasearch i did for sissy before i got her was wrong anyway. lol frountly i have a woodshop with multi tools...including files if i need one. lol i know for sure the big one would do the trick...but i'll wait and see like you said what some of the other guys says..... I always tell people the same thing you do...more experenced people would know for sure lol I'll have to look in Holmes box and see if i have a cuddle bone in there ahh PIZZAS HERE!! THANKS

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I didn't even know they sold cuttle bones for turtles. I've tried to put cuttle bones in for my tortoise but he's never even attempted to try them so I quit. He won ? I figure they are the same thing though. Cuttle bones are cuttlefish. Maybe that's why my tort won't even try them. He's a vegan. I just do what Lyn W does with a calcium and D3 supplement. I can't even imagine the work it would take getting the hard side off.

zolasmum

5 Year Member

When Zola was little, we gave him some cuttle fish bone and he loved it - I had to keep taking it way from him because I was afraid it would wear his beak down too much -I didn't even think of taking the hard bit off, and he managed fine. Now he has totally lost interest it, and also never tries the mineral block by his food. Where I live, you can find the bones lying on the beach , but I think they would be very full of salt from the seawater - best to get them from a pet shop.
If Sissy isn't interested, just leave it in her enclosure, and maybe some day she will try it and love it ! It will be exactly the same as the bird ones - no difference at all. I don't know why you were told not to use the bird ones for tortoises - the pet shop person trying to sound clever, maybe.
Angie

Dragon

michagin
I didn't even know they sold cuttle bones for turtles. I've tried to put cuttle bones in for my tortoise but he's never even attempted to try them so I quit. He won ? I figure they are the same thing though. Cuttle bones are cuttlefish. Maybe that's why my tort won't even try them. He's a vegan. I just do what Lyn W does with a calcium and D3 supplement. I can't even imagine the work it would take getting the hard side off.
lol well for me it wouldnt be any real work I have a bench sander, and a hand held sander ..... but i think i'll just get the calcium and d3 supplement I think it would be easer lol and thank you for the info

Dragon

michagin
When Zola was little, we gave him some cuttle fish bone and he loved it - I had to keep taking it way from him because I was afraid it would wear his beak down too much -I didn't even think of taking the hard bit off, and he managed fine. Now he has totally lost interest it, and also never tries the mineral block by his food. Where I live, you can find the bones lying on the beach , but I think they would be very full of salt from the seawater - best to get them from a pet shop.
If Sissy isn't interested, just leave it in her enclosure, and maybe some day she will try it and love it ! It will be exactly the same as the bird ones - no difference at all. I don't know why you were told not to use the bird ones for tortoises - the pet shop person trying to sound clever, maybe.
Angie
proubly i'll look in holmes supplys and see if i have an extra one if not there not hard to find.... im so glad i came to this sight i cant say it often enough.... I always woundered about that.... i mean like you said cuttle bone is cuttle bone. Holmes has a flaverd one as well as her regular one.....but i would never experment like that just use the regular one...if she chews on it fine and if not well it will just sit in there lol

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
We get our Sully’s cuttlefish bone from the pet section at WalMart. We usually peak in the box it’s packaged in to make sure that it’s a nice big one, but the cost is about $1.30. I toss one into our Sullys area abiut once every three months. It might sit untouched for days or weeks, then, overnight like magic it will be devoured.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
We get our Sully’s cuttlefish bone from the pet section at WalMart. We usually peak in the box it’s packaged in to make sure that it’s a nice big one, but the cost is about $1.30. I toss one into our Sullys area abiut once every three months. It might sit untouched for days or weeks, then, overnight like magic it will be devoured.
Me too 🤣 except I gave up on the tort 🐢. But I have little birds that love them. Well it always pays to check 😉

Dragon

michagin
YES it always does pay to check lol spike gets holmes cuttle bones at walmart mostly as well in less he has to go and get supplys for the other animals lol hes a firm believer in getting things in bulk lol

lmartin999

Toronto, ON
I have (am caring for) a 28 year old RES and a few year old Hermanns. Both are/were school pets....and are now under my watchful eye with the tort being in my house! Both get the same cuttlebones, the RES will destroy and I think eat some, the tort will nibble at. I break off the sharper edges, but note the tort is smart enough to only pick from the softer side so I haven't worried.

Dragon

michagin
Thank you every one for all the information.. next time spike gos to the store i'll have him pick up a cuddle bone for sissy and she will have something to help keep her beak from getting to long....now as far as minarl blocks is there any spical kind she should have?

Webnerp13

Indiana
PennPlax makes an E2 cuttlebone which has no backing, similar shape to natural, just compressed calcium with some cuttlebone content, also supposedly different flavors…

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I have (am caring for) a 28 year old RES and a few year old Hermanns. Both are/were school pets....and are now under my watchful eye with the tort being in my house! Both get the same cuttlebones, the RES will destroy and I think eat some, the tort will nibble at. I break off the sharper edges, but note the tort is smart enough to only pick from the softer side so I haven't worried.
Welcome from the UK. Are you now keeping these animals permanently, or are they going back to the school ?

COmtnLady

Colorado
I have a redfoot who loves cuttlebones. When I dusted her food with the powdered calcium she was seriously not amused, so I started putting a cuttlebone into her enclosure and she became a happy camper. She chews on it when she wants to, probably goes through a 5" one every month or two. I get them at pet stores, or even sometimes the Hartz Mountain ones in the pet displays of grocery stores. And, yes, they are marketed for birds, but it hasn't been a problem.

I got the brilliant idea to see if they were cheaper in bulk on eBay... While there were many sellers offering them, the bones were all tiny. I may have some talent for finding the ones I can't use, but I never did find suitable ones through eBay.

I've not had a beak or toenail problem in almost three years of having her. There's a slab of sandstone-y surface to bask on and file her nails, and the cuttlebone to keep her beak nice.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have a redfoot who loves cuttlebones. When I dusted her food with the powdered calcium she was seriously not amused, so I started putting a cuttlebone into her enclosure and she became a happy camper. She chews on it when she wants to, probably goes through a 5" one every month or two. I get them at pet stores, or even sometimes the Hartz Mountain ones in the pet displays of grocery stores. And, yes, they are marketed for birds, but it hasn't been a problem.

I got the brilliant idea to see if they were cheaper in bulk on eBay... While there were many sellers offering them, the bones were all tiny. I may have some talent for finding the ones I can't use, but I never did find suitable ones through eBay.

I've not had a beak or toenail problem in almost three years of having her. There's a slab of sandstone-y surface to bask on and file her nails, and the cuttlebone to keep her beak nice.
I think it's so cute. I've had a box turtle in the past but still have my Russian and both loved sitting on a flat rock. They don't have to be climbable. So I just keep some in the enclosures because they like them for a place to sit now and then.🤗

Dragon

michagin
I will have to look through my yard to see if i can find a sizeable flat rock for sissy. My grandson is comming down for the weekend, I asked him to keep his eyes opened for some sizeable rocks for me as well... the snow has pretty much melted now so maybe we'll be lucky to find some if not i can always buy some rocks...having grown up in the country it just sort of sets wrong with me to have to buy rocks! lol between our yards and the dirt roads there were thousands of rocks all over the place

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I will have to look through my yard to see if i can find a sizeable flat rock for sissy. My grandson is comming down for the weekend, I asked him to keep his eyes opened for some sizeable rocks for me as well... the snow has pretty much melted now so maybe we'll be lucky to find some if not i can always buy some rocks...having grown up in the country it just sort of sets wrong with me to have to buy rocks! lol between our yards and the dirt roads there were thousands of rocks all over the place
I actually paid shipping for someone to send me some from around Niagara falls and a donation to help care for a rescue rabbit the family was caring for. He would have just done it for shipping but I was so thankful. Around here we really don't have flat rocks. You should have seen the mailman trying to carry the 3 boxes of rocks to my front door 🙂 and there was only about 3 or 4 rocks in each box. The rocks aren't all that big. The biggest went into my flower bed. It looked like one that would be a perfect hidey hut for the toads in my yard 🤗

Dragon

michagin
LOL oh my. Well hopeful i will be able to find some here, actually I already know where i can get some. Theres still one member left of the group of mom dad and there friends al and dours....al is still around and my sister is taking care of him for now....he has 6 acers of land out in the country and i know he cleared at least one field of rocks...so i can ask my sister if she can get me a few.