Water Discoloration from Cork Bark

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcourtney3

5 Year Member
I put cork bark in my turtle tank and it turned the water a nasty brown. Is this safe for hatchling turtles or do I need to change the water? (I don't have the turtles yet)

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I personally wouldn't use it and change the water, but I'm anal that way.
In the wild turtles live in dark and murky water anyway, maybe someone else will have a better opinion.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
If it's untreated natural cork I don't believe the turtles will be harmed.do water changes, soak it in a bucket or something and it will stop discoloring the water in time. Len

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
the discoloration is caused by tannic and hummic acids which can help to reduce pH, hardness and shell infections

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It is completely harmless. Ever notice that streams and lakes have brown tinted water? That is from the tannins leaching from driftwood and fallen leaves.

I use wood and leaves in my South American biotope aquariums to reduce tannins and pH.

If you don't like the looks, just do regular water changes until it clears up. It stops leaching after awhile. You can as Len said also place it in a bucket and frequently change the water until it stops leaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.