Acclimating turtle to new water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Do water turtles need to be acclimated to new water? I have tried finding this answer through google searches but am coming up empty handed for an answer.

I acclimate my fish when adding new ones into the tank. I put the new fish in a bucket with their current water. Set up a drip line, pop in an air stone and let that run for 15 min or so. Once their bucket of water is primarily the new water, I add them.

Do I need to do this same procedure for adding turtles into a tank?

Or

Can the turtles just be put into the tank directly with no issues?

Thanks for helping me with such a silly question :)

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Think of the reason you acclimate fish. Is it for temperature? Yes. But its much more then that, obviously. Likely, the nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and pH are different; this is what is the largest concern to acclimate them to...While some turtles prefer different pH then other, these levels (unless in some sort of extreme, obviously a pH of 3 is going to have some negative effect, just as it will to your hand) aren't harmful to them in any way. Now, sensitive species (e.g mata mata, yada yada) may be a slight concern, but mostly, the answer is no.
HOWEVER, if your concern is temperature, this is obvious. Dropping a turtle from 65 degree water to 80 degree water, or the other way around, will have harmful effects; it will put them into shock, just as it will to you. As long as the temperature does not FEEL very different to me (e.g 5 degrees), I don't ever bother to acclimate...
With hatchlings, however, this is a different story. Fresh, week-old hatchlings, I would acclimate, as the slightest temperature change may be a slight shock.

nearpass

10 Year Member!
I have never had a problem putting turtles in new water, they don't 'breathe' it the same way fish do. I do make sure it tests reasonably safe as far as ph/ammonia/chlorine are concerned, and that there's not a huge temperature shock when putting the turtle in. I've generally placed them on the basking area very gently, and allowed them to take it at their own pace. Usually they will just plunge into the water, and it does take some time for them to figure their way around, but if temps and water quality are ok, they should be ok.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ya ok that makes sense.

I've always been super careful with acclimating fish (sometimes hundreds and thousands of dollars worth).

It just dawned on me today that i wasn't sure about turtles!

Thanks for helping me understand it.

I think I'll place them on the basking rock and let them go in..i like that idea.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Team Gomberg said:
Ya ok that makes sense.

I've always been super careful with acclimating fish (sometimes hundreds and thousands of dollars worth).

It just dawned on me today that i wasn't sure about turtles!

Thanks for helping me understand it.

I think I'll place them on the basking rock and let them go in..i like that idea.

I keep a couple hundred turtles that get their water changed everyday. They don't need anything special at all. Any word on the Albino RES?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Gerard,

Yes we would like him!

I'm checking the water tues to see if the tank is ready.

I'll send you a pm with some information and we can continue the conversation that way :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah, no big production for water change outs here for the two RES girls...but these were 2 for $5.00 turtles from down town Los Angeles, so they are a couple of tough girls--- the little girls mother who impulsively purchased them for the daughter could not stand how they stunk (in their little plastic box container with the same water they bought them in and nothing else...so gross) after a couple of weeks....so the little girl gave them to my old boss--who did not care for them--so I really yelled at everyone and laid claim to them---and here they are....I just plop them in their own containers (inside during winter) and empty the water, then refill the tank with hose water to about 3/4 of tank and then add hot water to that cold water while the heater gets the water temp a bit leveled out and then add the stuff to remove the chlorine and then let the filter run a bit...and back in they go--- I also add them back in by placing them on their ramp ladder and they decide to plunge or bask...they are really use to the jig now--so not a big prob....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.