Water bowl issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjr153

5 Year Member
I don't like the Terra cotta dishes for the water bowls. I feel like they are too shallow for soaking. Also, the water evaporates very quickly. When the tort climbs in and out he/she drags a lot of coconut coir into the bowl. I am too scared to use a deeper bowl for drowning reasons. What are some different options for the water bowl?

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Walnut Creek, Ca
I use the plastic version of the terra cotta dish. They are deeper (but not too deep) and the water does not evaporate as quickly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Soaking tubs are for soaking. The water bowl is just for drinking and if they happen to sit in it, well, so be it.

Quickly evaporating water adds some much needed humidity to an indoor enclosure in a typical home with very dry air.

The mess is unfortunate. I hand pack my coco coir and it cuts the tracking business WAYYYYYY down. Still, I have to change the water out two or three times a day when they are indoors sometimes.

The pet stores also sell some faux rock shallow water and food bowls, but they will have these exact same issues. Some people like to put slate or river rock around the bowls to reduce substrate tracking. I've never felt the need to do this, but maybe it will work for you.

The terra cotta plant saucers are the most perfect thing I have found to date. If I were to design a water bowl just for tortoises, knowing their needs and acknowledging certain pitfalls, it would resemble the $2 terra cotta plant saucers that you can buy anywhere.

Good luck on your search! :)

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Your local garden section will have a huge variety of saucers. I bet you'll find something you like better.

kjr153

5 Year Member
I like it! Disposable water dish. :) Thanks for the idea. I'll try it and see if the Tort approves.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I use the terra cotta for available water drinking only ... but for dedicated soaking I use an old pyrex mixing bowl just for them, it is 1970's green, very turtley, and I do not fill it all the way up of course, just enough to go past the bottom of their shell. The sloping helps a lot to have them poop as they exercise a little if they try to get out which they sometimes do and pooping while soaking keeps their coco coir a little cleaner. Once they poop, I throw the water into the garden (good fertilizer) and refill again sometimes, sometimes not depending on time, and they will just relax and soak ... ahhh spa! I also use a garden trug when it's hot enough outside so they can get the warmth of the sun and I start with warm water from inside, not from the hose cold. I also used a clear plastic under your houseplants one (found at Home Depot) for awhile but went back to terra cotta. The plastic is a little deeper but kinda flimsy. That's what works for me. : )

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
littlestella said:
I use the plastic version of the terra cotta dish. They are deeper (but not too deep) and the water does not evaporate as quickly.

To each his own. Not picking on you personally, but I want to share info pertinent to the thread and OPs question.

I don't like the plastic ones for two reasons: 1. The plastic is slick and the tortoises often don't feel comfortable since they can't get any traction, so they avoid them. Many times plastic bowls stay very clean much longer, this is because they aren't used. A dirty water bowl is a sign that the tortoise feels comfortable and is in and out of his bowl regularly.
2. I raise hundreds of hatchlings a year. Every year I find anywhere from 6 to 10 babies upside down in a water bowl. Shallow is good. I have never had a single one drown in a terra cotta saucer. I have seen many tortoises drown in bowls that were just a little deeper. Especially bowls that were just a little deeper with slick steep sides.

Hope this info helps someone.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
Thank you, I do appreciate that. When I first got him I used a plastic bowl that was exactly as that described. I didn't like it and took it out. However the plastic (still looks like terra cotta) is not slick at all, in fact it has a texted feel to it . It's only slightly deeper then the original but it does allow for more water. About an inch total. So far it's working we'll. He's able to climb in and out easily and doesn't seem to mind it. Really he doesn't soak in it, it seems to be part of obstacle course routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.