How often do you clean your Torts dishes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjr153

5 Year Member
I don't clean mine everyday. I will pull the water bowl out and give it a good rinse and put fresh water in several times a day. How often does it need CLEANED though? The dishes are terra cotta saucers. Don't know if that matters.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
It really depends on if your tortoise has gone into it, if any substrate got in etc. But it's best to have fresh water available at all times. I rinse my terra cotta dish about two times a day. I'm not sure what you mean by "washing". Like cleaning it completely? Because I haven't had to do so yet.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The water dishes get a thorough rinse daily. They can go a bit green and slimy, so I shove them in the dishwasher weekly.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I miss having small dishes, I clean mine 3 times a week depends if they use it more or less tho.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Every morning when I put my torts out I wash out whatever sludge they dragged into their water dishes, and fill them up again. When they get too slimy, I scrub them down with some dish soap (maybe once every 2-3 weeks)

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I just rinse mine out with clean water when they get filled with substrate, debris, etc. If they poop in them or if the dish starts becoming slimy then I'll wash them off with hot water and antibacterial dish soap.

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
I clean the food dish daily by scrubbing with soap and water in the morning while he is soaking..I put fresh water 2 to 3 times a day but only scrub water bowl with soap once a week. I also use terra cotta dishes

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wait, I musta missed the memo that says to clean the dishes. :(

... :p :D

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Thorough rinse everyday usually more than twice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using TortForum mobile app

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Water dish- plastic plant saucer that mimics a clay version (so a little texture)- cleaned about once a week with soap and water. I had two so I just rotated them.

Food dish- I totally cheated on this and just used a sheet of newspaper folded into quarters, then tossed when they were done.

Status
Not open for further replies.