Vicious Russian

alleycat_pink

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol, England, UK
Hi I'm quite new to tortoise keeping so forgive my ignorance. my Russian Tortoise is about 4 years old and had suddenly become quite vicious. As soon as i put my hand in his enclosure he chases my hand (literally runs after it) with his mouth wide open, I'm sure he would bite if i let him. How can i calm him down?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My first question would be if you are hand feeding him? Then are you wearing fingernail polish? If those simple thoughts are not the issue, then it's going to be a bit more of a challenge to "stop" the behavior.

alleycat_pink

Bristol, England, UK
It is quite funny to see him chase around with his mouth open but i would hate him to bite one of the kids. He is kept in an indoor table top, as soon as i go near him he starts. I don't wear nail polish. Do you think it could be lack of space now he is getting bigger?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be lack of room to exercise, but I think he's just being protective of his territory. Male Russians don't want other 'tortoises' in their territory, and in his eyes, you're another tortoise.

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Does your tortoise also bobs his head at you? That might be another indication of territorial behavior.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi I'm quite new to tortoise keeping so forgive my ignorance. my Russian Tortoise is about 4 years old and had suddenly become quite vicious. As soon as i put my hand in his enclosure he chases my hand (literally runs after it) with his mouth wide open, I'm sure he would bite if i let him. How can i calm him down?
I am laughing really hard right now...they are very tenacious for sure....have you ever hand fed the ruffian?

Magilla504

It may just be his nature. I have one male that I'm certain was wild caught and he shows more signs of Aggression. My other male who was not is very sweet and much more tame. How long have you had him?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
My russian, martha, will charge me if I'm messing around in her enclosure. She has not tried to bite yet but she looks so serious it cracks me up :) she was wc too.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Russians are so twerpy!! Surprisingly Nank, my WC is too timid to be aggressive. Maybe that'll change if he hasn't hit puberty yet... he's a nail polish dud haha that's cute. I want to say "well just don't put your hand in there" but that's a dumb and impossible statement.

Is it possible he knows the hand=food (since even not hand feeding you put food/plate in with hands) and he's running over mouth wide open excited for food since Russians are piggies! Its a horrible statement so I wont cann it a suggestion but if it were me i'd probably find out if he actually would bite me... then again I have been but accidentally (was holding a tomato treat still so it wouldn't roll away and in his excitement/head flailing he missed the tomato) and I have a blasé attitude to pain. But what if its not aggression? unless its obvious aggression signs, since i'm no expert just my experiences with Nank

alleycat_pink

Bristol, England, UK
Thanks for your replies. I've had him for three years now. When are they classed as adults? I got him from a reptile shop when he was tiny. He has bitten my dad before and I saw the blood so don't fancy taking chances.