Vet

Marinated mamma

Location (City and/or State)
South east uk
I stated not wanting to go by car because the city where the vet is is very busy, therefore making it hard to park, as well as the fact that traffic can make it very difficult.
Sorry chick I speed read the whole thing! Blonde person here I hold my hands up! (Hold up hand but hides face in shame ha)

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
The latest information is to allow the temp. to drop down into the low 70's at night and very warm during the day. Low 70's is not likely to provoke a resp. infection that isn't already there. A recent paper published that a group of tortoises that were kept cooler at night had better, smooth shell growth compared to the group that was kept much warmer (80's) There must be a correlation between temp and metabolism at night. Watery eyes could be as previously mentioned, too dry and creating debris in the eye. Soaking would be a good idea and make sure you rinse out the eyes with tap water incase there is any debris present.

Coconugget

The latest information is to allow the temp. to drop down into the low 70's at night and very warm during the day. Low 70's is not likely to provoke a resp. infection that isn't already there. A recent paper published that a group of tortoises that were kept cooler at night had better, smooth shell growth compared to the group that was kept much warmer (80's) There must be a correlation between temp and metabolism at night. Watery eyes could be as previously mentioned, too dry and creating debris in the eye. Soaking would be a good idea and make sure you rinse out the eyes with tap water incase there is any debris present.

Thank you! I'll definetely look into that information. And I soak her daily, if not every other day

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thank you! I'll definetely look into that information. And I soak her daily, if not every other day
If the main reason you are taking the tort to the vet is because of watery eyes and tortoise vocalizations then I believe it would be better to check all of your husbandry and get that all in order first..

Marinated mamma

South east uk
Where abouts are u I'm in the uk Kent been checking the temps at night at the mo and they are about 23 degrees Celsius at the moment and that's in the low 70's Fahrenheit (think I got Fahrenheit and Celsius round the right way if not you know what I mean) my crew like to bask under a lamp very early morning now for about half an hour to get them motivated them out in the garden they go but this will change as winter approaches as mine are outside I usually put thier lamps on in the late evening for a few hours as the nights draw in and then try to regulate thier heat to about 21-23 degrees for bed time not with lamps tho. The information that has come to light in the last ten years since I've had mine about heat and diet etc has proved to make my babies much happier little fellows! The tortoise trust books and other up to date books has proved invaluable information indeed

Coconugget

Hi! Anything new as far as the visit to the vet is concerned?

As for soaks, I suggest that you soak your tort daily.

Unfortunately, we had to reschedule it to Sunday because it was busy yesterday :( We might be able to drive there instead because traffic isn't so heavy on early Sunday's. We're still trying to find a clean cardboard box and I'm wondering if I could do anything to make it seem more comfortable for her because the long trip sounds awfully stressful.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Unfortunately, we had to reschedule it to Sunday because it was busy yesterday :( We might be able to drive there instead because traffic isn't so heavy on early Sunday's. We're still trying to find a clean cardboard box and I'm wondering if I could do anything to make it seem more comfortable for her because the long trip sounds awfully stressful.

Wish your tort the best of luck. :)And please keep us updated.:tort:

Coconugget

Wish your tort the best of luck. :)And please keep us updated.:tort:

We're taking her to the vet in the morning, 10:30 EST. We couldn't find a suitable cardboard box, so decided to use a plastic box. We placed some coconut coir for Coconut's convenience and will give supply her with some lettuce as well. There isn't a simple way to keep her hydrated so I'll bring some water.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
We're taking her to the vet in the morning, 10:30 EST. We couldn't find a suitable cardboard box, so decided to use a plastic box. We placed some coconut coir for Coconut's convenience and will give supply her with some lettuce as well. There isn't a simple way to keep her hydrated so I'll bring some water.
Anything new? Have you taken your tort to the vet? If so what did he/she say?

Coconugget

Anything new? Have you taken your tort to the vet? If so what did he/she say?

The vet said that she seems normal and perfectly fine. Her eyes weren't watery when he examined her and she didn't breathe loudly. He told us if we wanted to be 100% sure she was ok, we could pay for an X-Ray of her lungs, but told us he thought she seemed fine and the X-Ray doesn't seem to be needed for now. The vet also gave me a few notes saying that I should try to get the fogger to make it as humid as possible and rest the heat lamp to make a basking spot. We'll take her back if she shows signs of sickness

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The vet said that she seems normal and perfectly fine. Her eyes weren't watery when he examined her and she didn't breathe loudly. He told us if we wanted to be 100% sure she was ok, we could pay for an X-Ray of her lungs, but told us he thought she seemed fine and the X-Ray doesn't seem to be needed for now. The vet also gave me a few notes saying that I should try to get the fogger to make it as humid as possible and rest the heat lamp to make a basking spot. We'll take her back if she shows signs of sickness
Hope she's now better.