Tips for vet visit

Geng

5 Year Member
Hi,

I have a vet appointment tomorrow. I'm gonna take my 2 year old russian for a health check. The thing is, my tortoise has slowed down extremely since the weather outside has cooled down alot. I understand this is normal behaviour for this time of the year, knowing some are getting ready for hibernation. But I want to know sure her behaviour is caused by the weather, and not that she is sick.

However, from what I understand the advise of vets isn't always right. For example the vitamin shot they sometimes give, which are bad for the tortoise's skin. I'm taking my tortoise to the same vet I went last year. It is a vet that is also specialized in reptiles. The vet did cured her runny nose back then, but I had my questions about some of his advise, like 'her hot spot should be 125F' and 'tortoises can't play outside during summer days of 80F'.

I want the vet to improve the health of my tortoise, not make her sick or more sick. Is there anything I should look out for tomorrow?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Most tortoises have parasites (worms) to some degree. Especially Russians, since many are wild collected.
Don't street out about a few worms. A lot of vets will find a few eggs and treat.
I avoid going to the vet for a check up for my tortoises. I only go if one is outwardly ill.
Do not get a vitamin injection. It doesn't harm the skin. It can kill the tortoise.