Vegetable recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
So I don't often buy carrots for my torts, but I do give them on occasions as treats. The little guys love them! I just learned the ones I recently bought have been recalled for possible salomemella contamination. I only fed them a few, as the bag is basically full. I was lucky I didn't eat any! Does anyone know if I should be concerned about the torts?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Usually this type of contamination becomes a problem with not washing the item. I would think, as long as you washed them before feeding you'd be good.
If they weren't washed first, my gut tells me that if your tortoise is healthy, there should be no issues.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL!! Take it easy on that kind of thing. We need you around for a little longer.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Lol, I think I was in a hurry that day and didn't wash them :( also, I didn't feed them to my Russians, who I know are healthy... I fed them to the redfoots I just rescued. I think their only problem was their previous environment, as they seem to be doing better in my care.
Does anyone know what the signs would be if they were sick from the carrots? They didn't each much today, but I don't think they are found of dandelion greens. They ate everything else on their plate and have eaten since I fed them the carrots a few days ago... Thanks for the help!

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
What country?

I haven't heard anything but mine get the occasional bit of carrot :s :s

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Well, being that tortoises are notorious crap eaters, I wouldn't be overly worries. I don't think that salmonella even affects them.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Since tortoises frequently carry salmonella without actually being affected by it, I wouldn't be too worried.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
For that matter, we all carry salmonella. The problem comes when we have a “bloom" or we are introduced to a strain we aren't normally exposed to. I don't know that I think you have anything to really worry about

socialworker81

5 Year Member
It was in the USA. A brand called Boathouse Farms. And Thanks everyone. I wasn't too concerned, as I do know they carry salmonella anyway. However, you can never be too worried about the little guys :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
At first I thought it said,“bathhouse farms" and I thought, “with a name like that, of course it has salmonella!"

Status
Not open for further replies.