UVB

katie_lang88

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Can the UVB be too close to the tortoise shell? I got a new light, T5 reptisun, and I'm figuring out where to put it? He's got a hide he goes on top of most of the day so I'd like it to be over that but that's only like about 4 inches from his shell with the wire mesh in between. My heat bulbs in a dome light so it's easy to hang.

Attachments

• 20231112_091318.jpg
    20231112_091318.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Mounting height depends on a few factors:
1. Specie of tortoise
2. Lamp UV output (5.0 or 10.0 ReptiSun)
3. Use of lamp reflector
4. Mesh (on lamp fixture or enclosure) and its density.

4 inches is really low, recommended height is no less than 10 inches, usually. If you can't hang the lamp fixture heigher, then you need some kind of stand between mesh and the fixture (like put it on pair of coffee mugs). If you've bought lamp hood with a lamp, then was probably bundled with a ReptiSun 5.0 lamp and you need to target height of 12-14 inches over tortoise shell. Unfortunately, without radiometer like Solarmeter 6.5 it's just a guess based on lamp data sheets.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mounting height depends on a few factors:
1. Specie of tortoise
2. Lamp UV output (5.0 or 10.0 ReptiSun)
3. Use of lamp reflector
4. Mesh (on lamp fixture or enclosure) and its density.

4 inches is really low, recommended height is no less than 10 inches, usually. If you can't hang the lamp fixture heigher, then you need some kind of stand between mesh and the fixture (like put it on pair of coffee mugs). If you've bought lamp hood with a lamp, then was probably bundled with a ReptiSun 5.0 lamp and you need to target height of 12-14 inches over tortoise shell. Unfortunately, without radiometer like Solarmeter 6.5 it's just a guess based on lamp data sheets.
Actually the recommended height depends on the uvb output not really species of tortoise. 10 inches is also to low. The average recommended height is around 16 inches, do not go under 12 inches. However, only a uvb meter will give the correct height and output. Most of us don't use them because they are expensive. However, most bulbs have a recommend height listed on the package.

katie_lang88

Michigan
Actually the recommended height depends on the uvb output not really species of tortoise. 10 inches is also to low. The average recommended height is around 16 inches, do not go under 12 inches. However, only a uvb meter will give the correct height and output. Most of us don't use them because they are expensive. However, most bulbs have a recommend height listed on the package.
This would probably would be better then? It's just over a foot over his favorite spot. My dome is a heat bulb(no light), from reading I also need a flood light?

Attachments

• 20231112_161553.jpg
    20231112_161553.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How big is he? He looks adult size, which if he is, he needs a 4x8 enclosure as a minimum. The gauge you are using is useless and very unreliable. Get a digital.
Also bury the water dish so it's level with the top of substrate.
Yes, a incandescent flood bulb is needed for basking.
Temps should not be lower than 70 at night.
Basking area 95-100
All over temp 80.
For an adult or teen, humidity needs to be 30-50% 50% better. Hatchling to about 3 years humidity needs to be 80% and he would need a closed chamber enclosure.

katie_lang88

Michigan
How big is he? He looks adult size, which if he is, he needs a 4x8 enclosure as a minimum. The gauge you are using is useless and very unreliable. Get a digital.
Also bury the water dish so it's level with the top of substrate.
Yes, a incandescent flood bulb is needed for basking.
Temps should not be lower than 70 at night.
Basking area 95-100
All over temp 80.
For an adult or teen, humidity needs to be 30-50% 50% better. Hatchling to about 3 years humidity needs to be 80% and he would need a closed chamber enclosure.
Hes abou3.5- 4 inches, 220 grams I think when I weighed him last. 1.5-2 years old, the lady didnt have an exact hatch date. I say he but not really sure. That's our guess for now. I ended up getting a humidifier for right by his enclosure and spray the cage twice a day. Everything dries up so quick in the wood enclosure. Should I look at a closed chamber enclosure? Goal humidity of 80, I'd almost have to, I can imagine the wood doesn't hold up well with much higher than we're running. We're probably averaging about 40-60 max. It seems alot of the glass enclosures are alot smaller though. This is a 3x2 enclosure, was planning on building a bigger one before next fall.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glass enclosures are to small unless you special order and that's very costly.
The size you have now is way too small. A popup greenhouse is cheap and can get them in sizes 3x9 and 12 which will last him for winter housing for a very long time
Google search for those that are bigger sized but look like this.
Screenshot_20231111-065118.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This would probably would be better then? It's just over a foot over his favorite spot. My dome is a heat bulb(no light), from reading I also need a flood light?
The only way to know if the correct amount of UVB is getting to your tortoise is to measure the output at tortoise shell height with a UV meter. We are all just guessing here. If you put it too low you can burn your tortoises eyes and blind him. If you put it too high then he won't be getting the necessary amount. Having it go through the hardware cloth top filters out some percentage of the UV. What percentage? Only a meter can answer that.

There are four elements to heating and lighting. And yes, a closed chamber will work better.

Here is a breakdown of the four heating and lighting essentials:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. In most cases you'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night. Some people in colder climates or with larger enclosures will need multiple CHEs or RHPs to spread out enough heat.
  3. Ambient light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in LED bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In colder climates, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html A good UV bulb only needs to run for 2-3 hours mid day. You need the basking bulb and the ambient lighting to be on at least 12 hours a day.