UVB Light

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
It’s been years since I have had a tortoise. Getting a rescue sulcata next week. I don’t remember what I used to use for lighting other than my red heat lighting. Recommendations on good brand I can order from Amazon? Also, is it at least 4 hours a day? Thanks, Dee

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
ZOOMED 10.0 T5HO Strip florescent uvb
Or
ARCADIA 12% T5HO Strip florescent uvb
And no red bulbs.
How big is your Sulcata and how are you housing him/her. A CHE can provide warmth day or night. But you may need another type of heat emitter. And you'll need a basking lamp.
Someone more knowledgeable about Sulcata will chime in soon.
Welcome back.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
What is CHE? Why no red bulbs for heat?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What is CHE? Why no red bulbs for heat?
Ceramic heat emitter is a che, no light just heat.
Red bulbs shouldn't be used because they need it dark at night and red bulbs can make them eat substrate or anything that shines red. The color red attracts them.
Mercury vapor bulbs, halogen and cfl coil bulbs, any with a bend bulbs should not be used either. The first two are bad on the shell and coil can be bad on eyes and not reliable for UV.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
What is CHE? Is it the Ceramic heat emitter? He has a large wood enclosure for the winter and will be in the barn when it gets warm. I haven’t seen him in person but he looks to be 18-24”. I was going to use hay as substrate.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
100 or 150 watt Che? He will be in the house.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Ceramic heat emitter is a che, no light just heat.
Red bulbs shouldn't be used because they need it dark at night and red bulbs can make them eat substrate or anything that shines red. The color red attracts them.
Mercury vapor bulbs, halogen and cfl coil bulbs, any with a bend bulbs should not be used either. The first two are bad on the shell and coil can be bad on eyes and not reliable for UV.
It’s starting to come back to me. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
100 or 150 watt Che? He will be in the house.
You can't use CHEs or heat lamps over larger tortoises because it is not effective and it will cause a slow-burn on the top of the carapace. The top of the shell will get too hot while the core of the tortoise is not being warmed enough as they lose heat through the bottom. Heat lamps are great for smaller species, but you need a different heating strategy for the bigger tortoises.

Here are two examples being used inside night boxes: