UVB Confusion

SiaraEA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
I’ve seen many times on here that an hour daily of natural sunlight is enough for a tortoise’s UVB requirements. I was referred to a reptile lighting page on Facebook and asked if those numbers would apply to both tortoises and bearded dragons and everyone said that it doesn’t even apply to tortoises! I’m so confused. I want to do what’s best for my reptilian babies, but would like to cut down costs on lights if possible. I like to have my beardie out of his enclosure a lot of the day and was wondering what y’all think about these other people saying that’s not enough UVB. Sorry if this sounds confusing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A half hour twice a week is enough to meet any tortoises UV needs. More is better, but that is enough. And its fine to skip a few weeks in winter during a cold spell, and do more in the warmer months when the weather is good.

SiaraEA

5 Year Member
Kansas
A half hour twice a week is enough to meet any tortoises UV needs. More is better, but that is enough. And its fine to skip a few weeks in winter during a cold spell, and do more in the warmer months when the weather is good.

Do you know if that also applies to bearded dragons?