Uv lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

froggy

5 Year Member
Hi guys I've got a curly uv bulb and I've been reading the can cause eye problems or even blindness surely this isn't true otherwise why sell them ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes it is true. No one on here would recommend you using it. As far as why would they sell it. Well, "they" sell a lot of stuff that isn't good for our animals. Experiences, is how we learn what is good and what is bad. For instants, rawhides for dogs is one of the most dangerous treat you could give to a dog. Many chokings because of them. Veterinarians usually recommends against them, however most will still sell them out of their office. Play it safe and Return the bulb and get a MVB or a straight tube uv.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
wellington said:
Yes it is true. No one on here would recommend you using it. As far as why would they sell it. Well, "they" sell a lot of stuff that isn't good for our animals. Experiences, is how we learn what is good and what is bad. For instants, rawhides for dogs is one of the most dangerous treat you could give to a dog. Many chokings because of them. Veterinarians usually recommends against them, however most will still sell them out of their office. Play it safe and Return the bulb and get a MVB or a straight tube uv.

DITTO

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Coiled compact fluorescent bulbs can cause a 'hot spot' of UV directly in front of the 'point' that can be too much for sensitive eyes. You can minimize the risk by mounting it high enough that the 'hot spot' is made larger and more diffuse, or by pointing the tip away from the actual tortoises.

Not every user experiences the eye issues- probably the majority don't. That makes it more difficult to figure out why it DOES happen when it does, especially when it happens to a good keeper- was the bulb defective? (That was a big problem a few years ago when one manufacturer did not coat the bulbs properly and they emitted too much of the eye-damaging type of UV) Was it too close? Was it on too long during the day or was there too little shade? Was it a combination of causes?

The main benefit of the coiled or folded bulbs are that they are fairly cheap. That alone does not seem to be enough reason to bother with the possible risk.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I've used them in the past with no ill effect and know plenty of others who have done the same. Improper/incorrect use is one of the biggest problems. Read up as much as you can (from different sources) and make a decision for yourself.

Madkins007 said:
The main benefit of the coiled or folded bulbs are that they are fairly cheap. That alone does not seem to be enough reason to bother with the possible risk.

Or they are a compact source of uvb that doesn't overheat the enclosure? A CFL is a lot more versatile than a tube and cooler than an MVB. When I was using them cost had nothing to do with it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't risk it. Why would you want to. By the time you know it is having an ill affect on your tortoise, it's too late:(

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
jaizei said:
Madkins007 said:

Or they are a compact source of uvb that doesn't overheat the enclosure? A CFL is a lot more versatile than a tube and cooler than an MVB. When I was using them cost had nothing to do with it.

I agree with the issues with the MVB, but am not sure what you mean by the 'more versatile' bit.

While it is certainly easier (i.e. cheaper) to mount a screw-in base bulb compared to the fixture needed for a long bulb, the long bulb will more evenly light the habitat, and better simulate natural light in that sense. the light 'footprint' of the long tube is more even and more widely spread than the 'spotlight' effect of the coiled bulb, MVB, or any bulb in a dome.

froggy

5 Year Member
The bulb was 30 pound so not that cheap I think Ive put it higher so it's not directly in one spot for now and I've reduced the amount of time I have it on until I get a fixed tube one :)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
jaizei said:
I've used them in the past with no ill effect and know plenty of others who have done the same. Improper/incorrect use is one of the biggest problems. Read up as much as you can (from different sources) and make a decision for yourself.

Madkins007 said:

My experiences share some similarity. I use MVB when I want a lot of heat with the UVB and have a number of CFL UVB bulbs for when I want UVB emission without significant heat emission. When I want heat by itself, I use a CHE.

I mount the CFL UVB bulbs very high so that they are simply providing a bit of more diffuse background UVB radiation. I keep one over each indoor stock tank for aquatics and one to two over each indoor terrestrial enclosure, depending upon surface area. One MVB over each end of the stock tanks for more direct surface heat and UVB. Water heater for the medium. One MVB in one or two areas of each terrestrial enclosures. Typically drier. I create a more humid area with a fogger and I use a CHE to prevent it from being too cool. Low output heat mats or heat rope beneath the substrate in order to heat that a little, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.