Using powdered limestone

TanksALot

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
I'm talking about the lime that is used in horse stalls to keep the smell down from the urine that is excreted. Both of my sulcatas have their own sleeping quarters and because they are on the ground in organic soil I was wondering if lime would be appropriate to use underneath their soil and bedding materials since they sometimes urinate in their bedrooms before they come out for breakfast.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
I'm talking about the lime that is used in horse stalls to keep the smell down from the urine that is excreted. Both of my sulcatas have their own sleeping quarters and because they are on the ground in organic soil I was wondering if lime would be appropriate to use underneath their soil and bedding materials since they sometimes urinate in their bedrooms before they come out for breakfast.
My understanding is that lime is simply calcium carbonate and should be fine to use. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Here is a pic of the lime..View attachment 361044
Front of the bag looks OK at first glance, but what is listed on the back where ALL ingredients are usually listed? This info would be more important than the simple statement on the front which seems to allow for non-caustic or non-synthetic additives to be present which could still be harmful to your tortoises.