Using chlorhexidine 2% to treat shell rot.

freckles

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
Hi, first time on here. My tortoise has developed shell rot and I’ve read about using this but can’t seem to find any advise about how much to dilute it. Does anyone know the right ratio of water and chlorhexidine? Thanks in advance.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Get a tube of Athletes foot cream from anywhere
I use the stuff the dollar store sells.
Apply a little smear on the affected areas once every other day for 10 days.
Done.
Include a photo so we can verify that it is a fungus issue. (Unless it's a Redfoot tortoise, it might be something else)

tortyboyman

UAE, Abu Dhabi
Get a tube of Athletes foot cream from anywhere
I use the stuff the dollar store sells.
Apply a little smear on the affected areas once every other day for 10 days.
Done.
Include a photo so we can verify that it is a fungus issue. (Unless it's a Redfoot tortoise, it might be something else)
interesting, dont athletes foot cream contain antimycotics? is shell rot a fungal issue?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
interesting, dont athletes foot cream contain antimycotics? is shell rot a fungal issue?
Shell"rot"as we see it in the hobby is almost always 100% fungal. Mostly seen in tropical tortoises. Like Redfoot. Because of their high humidity requirements. It's quite common.
But technically there is a more advanced form that is ACTUALLY ROT. And it requires antibiotics. And sometimes surgery to remove necrotic tissue. Etc. It's mostly seen in aquatic turtles in polluted water or in tortoises that have been living on top of liquid waste for extended periods. It is extremely rare. So we call fungal issues shell rot as a general rule as to make it less confusing.

Please attach a photo when you can.
We can almost certainly tell you what your issue is and if it needs to be addressed

Last edited:

freckles

Liverpool
Hi thanks for the reply, this is a photo of the area where his shell has come off do you know what water ratio I should use to disinfect? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0269.jpeg
    IMG_0269.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Chlorhexidine is what doctors wash their hands with prior to surgery. It's a soap. It kills germs. Simple cases of shell rot that are caught at an early stage can often be treated with vigorous and frequent cleaning with a chlorhexidine solution. You can use a soft bristle brush to scrub at the infected area and then rinse it thoroughly.

But you can buy athlete foot cream at the dollar store for much cheaper and it's quite easy to use. Just clean and dry the shell and dab on the cream.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi thanks for the reply, this is a photo of the area where his shell has come off do you know what water ratio I should use to disinfect? Thanks
This is not shell rot or fungus. This is an OLD injury where the top layer of keratin was damaged and now has flaked off. There is no treatment required. It's old and healed. Eventually the white may raise and pop off showing new keratin underneath. It's absolutely nothing to worry about, and nothing for you to do to it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is not shell rot or fungus. This is an OLD injury where the top layer of keratin was damaged and now has flaked off. There is no treatment required. It's old and healed. Eventually the white may raise and pop off showing new keratin underneath. It's absolutely nothing to worry about, and nothing for you to do to it.
Agreed.
To me it looks like a possible healed burning injury from a too hot/too close overhead light.
Treating it now, might just slow down the healing process

freckles

Liverpool
Aw thanks so much Yvonne you’re right he did have an injury in that spot a few years ago where part of his shell was eaten by rodents. He was treated by a vet and over time it grew back. He is not eating right now so that made me think they were connected. Our weather has been so bad lately (he lives outside) with low temperatures and heavy rain so wonder if that’s a factor I’ve now brought him in the house but really appreciate your advice!
Thanks ❤️