Update

BearTheTurtle

Location (City and/or State)
USA Oklahoma
I recently get my boxie a new log hide, rock, wood, substrate, cuttlefish bone, and water dish! {I’m getting her a pot hide soon} I got zoo med eco earth, and peat moss for her substrate!
Any suggestions? 57E77A77-187A-4388-BC00-16CEB65DEF67.jpeg

Attachments

• BC23C98C-9EBA-4966-ABD7-42BB27F0F6CD.jpeg
    BC23C98C-9EBA-4966-ABD7-42BB27F0F6CD.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 7141FF29-DA8D-441A-BDAC-876FF540A8D6.jpeg
    7141FF29-DA8D-441A-BDAC-876FF540A8D6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Moss is something we warn against for most tortoises because of it being an impaction hazard. It gets eaten but it can't pass easily.
I understand 100%. Because moss does work really well otherwise.
I don't know that box turtles would eat it on purpose. I have no experience with them. But while we wait to hear from the masses, at least feed your turtle on a large terra cotta plate so that he won't eat any by accident. I'm a little concerned about the mixture on his face. I just don't want you to have any trouble.
Personally, I'd use Orchid bark and leaf litter. All safe.

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I agree about the moss. It sounds like it would be the right thing, but it's been proven that it's not. Hope your very cute little turtle will be ok in his nice enclosure, with orchid bark and leaves, no moss.

BearTheTurtle

USA Oklahoma
Moss is something we warn against for most tortoises because of it being an impaction Hazzard. It gets eaten but it can't pass easily.
I understand 100%. Because moss does work really well otherwise.
I don't know that box turtles would eat it on purpose. I have no experience with them. But while we wait to hear from the masses, at least feed your turtle on a large terra cotta plate so that he won't eat any by accident. I'm a little concerned about the mixture on his face. I just don't want you to have any trouble.
Personally, I'd use Orchid bark and leaf litter. All safe.
It was on her face bc she was just burrowed. Thank You for the advice!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I use moss with my desert box turtle. Cute turtle

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If they live in moss, it is more than likely that it will be eaten. Why take the risk when there are safer alternatives? It's like pleasing yourself while putting your turtle in harm's way. Sure, it LOOKS nice. But it is not so nice when it's a big ball stuck in his gut.