Update from the 'sort of tortoise owner'

pebblesbee

Don't know if anyone here remembers me and the story of the tortoises from where I work, but hi!

I took the tortoises to the vet, they've been thoroughly checked, and Bamm's beak has been duly trimmed. He's lost a little weight and the vet would like him to plump up a bit, but otherwise he's healthy. Good mouth, nostrils and all. Of course the shell problem cannot be reversed, but it could be worse and we can stop it from getting to that point. The plastrons are good though, it's just the pyramiding of the scutes. The vet would prefer them out of the viv but said if I can't I can't as my hands are kinda tied, so he also helped plan better ventilation for the viv (waiting for that to happen next week when the work handymen turn up), we're changing their UV bulb to a better brand (but they do already have UVB, that wasn't a problem, just perhaps the quality). Got advice about hibernation this winter, and we just had a really good talk. Lovely vet! Very chatty and knowledgeable and reiterated a lot of what you guys had told me. He's promised to keep on top of their beaks each time we visit. Had a good chat with the manager on my return too, and they seem much more willing to let me take charge and do my best for the tortoises. Within reason, what I say goes. Regarding the tortoises anyway :p

The torts now have good topsoil substrate, a new bulb is being ordered, and an extra thermometer; and they're perking up so much now I'm bathing them regularly (no one else bothered before) and now I'm feeding them properly too (ditto), they actually seem to dash up whenever I turn up with food now! Their seeds are growing nicely and I bought a plant water mister to up the humidity when needed. And for fun I've redecorated their viv (it has to be decorated anyway, but it was falling apart before) in nice colours and with facts about tortoises and some photographs and their names and favourite foods, so hopefully people can't help but learn a little and feel like they are a part of the place. It might sound silly, but whatever helps. I'm going to create a folder with simple how-to pages, seeing as no one reads the text books apart from me, so if I go away on holiday or whatever, they'll be cared for. One other person at work has agreed to be my tortoise care second-in-command to take over when I'm away and is happy to help. I'll do a how to feed, bathe, check for signs of ill health, keep temperature right...the works. I have to keep a weight diary for the vet too, so that can stay in there! Anything useful I can think of! I'll do what I can. If I have any doubts though about their continued care in that place, I will persuade them to find a more suitable permanent home.

Attached picture - Tucking in to a post-vet trip treat of romaine lettuce and dandelion leaves. Bamm (on the right) is eating so much better now his beak is a more sensible length. Hopefully he'll put on a bit of weight now!

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Long update! Hope it meets with your approval. I'll be around here and there on the forum I hope, even if it's just lurking quietly to absorb more knowledge from you all. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_1570.JPG
    IMG_1570.JPG
    539.2 KB · Views: 25

Reptilelove

Location (City and/or State)
Plymouth
That was a nice read! You seem to be doing good! Im gonna need to get my Harry's beak trimmed soon :(

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Nice up date . Good luck with teir future .
Reptilelove
I've had torts for almost 14 yrs now and it's much Easyer to put their food on tile and let them trim their oun beak . That's got to be how they do it in the wild cause there isn't any Vets in the wild :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for the update. I like what you have done. I agree, feeding on tile, or flat stone will he lot to keep,their beaks trimmed.

pebblesbee

Is the stone food dish they have unsuitable for that? I'll get a flat stone tile otherwise then, thanks for the tip :)