Underweight tortoise?

Tort_nube

Hello I've had a hatchling sulcata tortoise for a couple months now and she hasn't grown that much! I don't expect it to be a speedy process, however I've weighed her for around a little more than a month now and she's just around 43 grams. Is that normal for a hatchling? She doesn't gain weight quickly at all even though I feed her everyday. She will only eat grasses hibiscus leaves and dandelion flowers and leaves at the moment she hasn't taken to muzzuri or zoo Ned tortoise food at all. She has plenty of UVA and UVB light she gets 30 min of natural sunlight daily. The only growth I see is some new shell growth but still my tortoise isn't gaining weight.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
New shell grow means their growing. How much do you feed a day? They should have food to munch on all day long. What is your humidity and the basking temp? along with over all temp?
If you haven't please read Toms threads below for proper housing, temps and humidity.

Tort_nube

New shell grow means their growing. How much do you feed a day? They should have food to munch on all day long. What is your humidity and the basking temp? along with over all temp?
If you haven't please read Toms threads below for proper housing, temps and humidity.
She has food to munch on throughout the day because she never completely finishes what I give her in the morning. I read a lot of toms threads. Basking spot is between 85 to 95 and humidity I keep between 60 and 85 percent through most of the day. The overall temp in her enclosure is usually in the 80's and high 70's at the furthest point from the basking lamp.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your basking spot needs to 95-100 is best. They need to warm up higher then 85 to properly digest their food. The lowest temp should be 80 with humidity at 80%. Too low of temps with high humidity equals a sick tort. I would fix those two things. Then give it some time. Be sure your feeding a good varied diet. Usually when you see growth lines, they may drop a little weight or not gain, as they are using it to put on the growth. At least I noticed that in my leopards younger days. As long as he's eating, drinking pooping and peeing, which you usually don't see much and getting growth lines, all should be good.