Need some help please (underweight)

lettuce&littlegem

Hello I'm concerned about my near enough 2 year old horsefield tortoise Lettuce, I've been weighing her every week as she seems underweight and small compared to my other horsefield Little Gem , she has lost 10 grams in just under 2 weeks her current weight is 117g and there is around 50 grams difference in weight between them both. I know they all grow at different rates but this just doesn't seem right then I thought that maybe little gem is in fact a male. Maybe it's the time of year preparing for hibernation. Could you please offer some advice or any help these are my first tortoises as pets.

Thanks
Amy

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Amy
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1475158947.484861.jpg
Torts don't do well in pairs ! The number one tort bullies the other tort !

lettuce&littlegem

The smaller one bullied the bigger one when I got her and didn't go near each but after a few weeks they started getting along and are now "best of friends" they won't even sleep apart have to be next to each other ect, they both eat together with no problems and stuff didn't think they would get along but in the end they did :) luckily, does the weight concern seem to be a major issue or will it be the time of year preparing to hibernate ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Amy, and welcome to the Forum!

I think you'll see a marked improvement in the little one's appetite and growth if you set each tortoise up in his own habitat. Don't forget, tortoises are solitary animals. They neither want nor need companionship or friends. You may not see it, but there is tension going on because each of them wants to be in their own territory.

lettuce&littlegem

I am not 100% the is the case I know various people that have at least 3 tortoises in the same tank and they are all fine, she just wants to sleep all day and they both eat together out the same bowl at the same time but not ruling your opinion out at all that could well possibly be the cause if so then I will have to rehome them :(