Type of lighting need help

Flex

Hello everyone i need. Help in getting a new lightbulb for my 20 year sulcata wen they gave it to me they gave me 2 lightbulbs i used both already but last one broke on me so now im in a hurry to get one but dount kno wat to get or voltage if anyone can help thanx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A 20 year old sulcata lives outside, right? The only light he needs comes up from the eastern sky in the morning and goes down in the western sky in the evening.

If you're asking how to keep him warm in the winter, that's different from lighting. Here's the inside of my sulcata's shed:

Dudley's Rebuild 2-1-15 a.jpg Dudley's rebuild 2-1-15 b.jpg Dudley's rebuild 2-1-15 e.jpg

I also have a 250 watt brooder bulb (red bulb for chicks and ducks) hanging from the ceiling) that warms the inside of the shed very nicely.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone i need. Help in getting a new lightbulb for my 20 year sulcata wen they gave it to me they gave me 2 lightbulbs i used both already but last one broke on me so now im in a hurry to get one but dount kno wat to get or voltage if anyone can help thanx

We would need to know much more to make a recommendation. Where are you and how are you housing him.

Generally light bulbs are not needed for older, bigger sulcatas, and they can actually damage the top of the carapace through a process I call "slow-burning".

There are other heating devices that usually work better for big sulcatas.

Flex

A 20 year old sulcata lives outside, right? The only light he needs comes up from the eastern sky in the morning and goes down in the western sky in the evening.

If you're asking how to keep him warm in the winter, that's different from lighting. Here's the inside of my sulcata's shed:

View attachment 153303 View attachment 153304 View attachment 153305

I also have a 250 watt brooder bulb (red bulb for chicks and ducks) hanging from the ceiling) that warms the inside of the shed very nicely.
Yea thats wat im trying to do keep it warm during the winter its getting real cold outside right now It goes in my garrage and sleeps in there and in the A.M it goes outside .but makes a real mess hahaha is the red mat in the wall a heating pad ? Do animal feed stores have those bulbs ?

Flex

We would need to know much more to make a recommendation. Where are you and how are you housing him.

Generally light bulbs are not needed for older, bigger sulcatas, and they can actually damage the top of the carapace through a process I call "slow-burning".

There are other heating devices that usually work better for big sulcatas.
Ok i c yea i stay i so cal and it stays outside and goes in my garrage right now that its getting cold. i have a little house i build for it but lighting went out n dount realy kno wat voltage to get but ima just build it a bigger house since the one it has is to small for it for it and ima put better lighting or wat ever it needs to keep warm

Alaskamike

South Florida
For anyone to truly help you , please give more details like -

What are the dimensions of the space you are trying to heat

Is it insulated

Does it have a door ? What kind.

What is the size / weight of your Sulcata

People here really would like to help with solid advice. And maybe this is not possible - ( if not I apologize) I but if English is your primary language, please try & write in clean sentences with full words.

It helps folks understand your meanings.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, in Yvonnes post it's a Kane heat mat. Sometimes also Called pig blanket. They are hard plastic. Another good way to provide heat is a radiant heat panel, usually used for snakes. They can be mounted on the ceiling of you torts sleeping box and the mat on the side if one wasn't enough. Both can be put on a thermostat which would be a good idea.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Flex

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice i like ur work . Thats wat i have in mind to build, u think a 5x4 is big enough? And were can i get a heat pad

You can order Kane heat mats from Tyler at Tortoisesupply.com and radiant heat panels from Reptilebasics.com.

Flex

You can order Kane heat mats from Tyler at Tortoisesupply.com and radiant heat panels from Reptilebasics.com.
Ok kool thanx . At tortoise supply they have a heat heater, and at reptilebasic they have a heat panels are they the same things or different ?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I use an oil heater and a heat mat. It's inside my insulated night box. Seems to work pretty well. This Will be the first winter he has needed additional heat since he's 30 pounds now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok kool thanx . At tortoise supply they have a heat heater, and at reptilebasic they have a heat panels are they the same things or different ?

I don't know what a "heat heater" is, but tortoise supply sells the Kane heat mats for the bottom and Reptile Basics sells the radiant heat panels for the top. If you go that route, you will need both, and you will need a thermostat to control them. I get those at LLL Reptile: http://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

Alternatively, You could use the mini oil filled radiant heater, but that takes up floor space. Either system will work for you and each has good and bad points.

Flex

I don't know what a "heat heater" is, but tortoise supply sells the Kane heat mats for the bottom and Reptile Basics sells the radiant heat panels for the top. If you go that route, you will need both, and you will need a thermostat to control them. I get those at LLL Reptile: http://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

Alternatively, You could use the mini oil filled radiant heater, but that takes up floor space. Either system will work for you and each has good and bad points.[/QUOTE
Im sorry is called habitat heater. Were can i get insolation like the one u put in can i get it at home depot ? Does it help ? And im gona build a 5Lx4wx31/2 H housing wat size of heat panel would i need

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I would use the Kane heat mat. It has built in thermostat protection.

I get all my building supplies at Home Depot and Lowes. Yes it helps. Tremendously. Sealing the seams and corners with silicone sealant helps too.

5x4 sounds good, but 3.5' tall will be a waste of space. You will be heating dead air space for no reason. Even a giant male sulcata does not need a box more than 24" tall, and this is convenient since plywood comes in 48" sheet. You just cut one in half.

I like the 18x28" heat mats for a box the size of yours. They can get off the pad anytime they want, but still be in their arm box on a cold night. I use the 12x21" RHPS on top.

Flex

I would use the Kane heat mat. It has built in thermostat protection.

I get all my building supplies at Home Depot and Lowes. Yes it helps. Tremendously. Sealing the seams and corners with silicone sealant helps too.

5x4 sounds good, but 3.5' tall will be a waste of space. You will be heating dead air space for no reason. Even a giant male sulcata does not need a box more than 24" tall, and this is convenient since plywood comes in 48" sheet. You just cut one in half.

I like the 18x28" heat mats for a box the size of yours. They can get off the pad anytime they want, but still be in their arm box on a cold night. I use the 12x21" RHPS on top.
N the heat mat and heat panel is safe for them right. How tall should i make the structure wat do u recomend

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
N the heat mat and heat panel is safe for them right. How tall should i make the structure wat do u recomend

Yes. Those two heating devices are safe. I've been using them for many years in many situations. No problems.

I recommend 24" for adult sulcata night box height.