Need help with sulcata

Flex

Hello everyone about 2 weeks ago i took in an 20 year old sulcata from a military family that had to restation to a diferent state and couldnt take the sulcata with them. I took in the tort in order to help the family and i also had a family member that loves tortoise and was willing to adopt it from me . At the end they backed out . For two weeks ive had this tort , the first few days it was fine walking back n forth no problems at all . I was told by the military fam that it eats collar greens but never seen it eat it i tried romain and water melon but nothing . It would poop diarea , but i didnt c nothing different with the tort . But about 4 days ago it just been lazy and hardly wants to move . I dount kno wat to do, i dount know if thw tort is sic and i cant aford the veterenarian cost is there anyone that could help out in taking in the tort i wouldnt wan it to get worse that it already is .wat can i do ? Or wat do u guys think ia wrong with the tort

Razan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Riverside, CA
Is he being kept warm enough, What is the climate like where you are? My new and large adult sulcata eats mainly orchard hay mixed with tasty things he loves like mulberry leaves, bok choy, fresh mown grass and what ever other tasty things around. His main diet of orchard hay is disguised with bits of other stuff to make it more inticing. He does not like JUST hay, can we blame him...

His favorite is hay and a can of pumpkin dumped on top and spread through it. Canned pumpkin is not recommended and not given often.

Hope this helps. Others, with more experienc will be along soon to add advice.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
We need to know how you are keeping him . What's your temperature in the enclosure ? Do you have a heated house for him? If a tortoise isn't kept warm they will not eat or poop . They will get sick and slowly die .

SGT Fish

Columbus, Ohio
mine likes collard greens. but like kale and dandelion leaves a lot more. he also really like raddichio and i peel off a few leaves of it when i make him a bowl of food. if im leaving for the weekend i just put the whole thing down and he will munch on it til its gone. make sure he is warm. mine wont be as active without heat and wont eat his food if he doesnt have a hot spot to heat up

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So now you have TWO 20 year old sulcatas? Are they kept in the same space? Your new sulcata is stressed because he no longer has access to his old territory. And if he's in the same yard as your other 20 year old sulcata, he's really stressed. Because of how you described the tortoise's current state, it is imperative you try to figure out what's causing him to act like he is. We can only guess, but my guess is the other tortoise.

Flex

So now you have TWO 20 year old sulcatas? Are they kept in the same space? Your new sulcata is stressed because he no longer has access to his old territory. And if he's in the same yard as your other 20 year old sulcata, he's really stressed. Because of how you described the tortoise's current state, it is imperative you try to figure out what's causing him to act like he is. We can only guess, but my guess is the other tortoise.
Ivonne *** of right now yes i do untill i find it a new home . But wen i first got him all it wanted to do is hump my female tortoise so i put it seperate from my female. And it would walk around trying to fight my dogs. Something new ive experienced . After first week i put them together with the female tortoise n it was fine it would mind its own business then i woUld feed it but wouldnt eat it .At first i thought it did but i gues the other tortoise would eat it after a while of the food sitting there. The past 3days it hasnt walk it would just laying there and if it would move itll crawl like 10 ft away and itll stay there .I was actually thinking , it would be that hes in a new territory .as of right now there together still is that bad or good ?