Two way door

alfies mom

5 Year Member
Hello our elderly spur thighed female has an out door house with heat lamp .this has been her set up for many years it has a magnetic way out door latch. She comes in the garden then obviously goes back in through open door. We are going away for 3 days soon and I wanted to leave her door open ,we were trying to fix some kind of door that will allow her in/out whilst away. But gives her some kind of night protection. We need ideas please .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello our elderly spur thighed female has an out door house with heat lamp .this has been her set up for many years it has a magnetic way out door latch. She comes in the garden then obviously goes back in through open door. We are going away for 3 days soon and I wanted to leave her door open ,we were trying to fix some kind of door that will allow her in/out whilst away. But gives her some kind of night protection. We need ideas please .
In the past, allowing the tortoise the choice to come and go at night has resulted in problems. Every night I go around, do a head count, and lock everyone in for the night. The following morning, all the door are unlatched and opened, and the tortoises can come and go as they please for the day.

The solution for you is to have a solid door that can be securely latched shut, and have a friend or neighbor stop by and open and close it each day.

alfies mom

5 Year Member
In the past, allowing the tortoise the choice to come and go at night has resulted in problems. Every night I go around, do a head count, and lock everyone in for the night. The following morning, all the door are unlatched and opened, and the tortoises can come and go as they please for the day.

The solution for you is to have a solid door that can be securely latched shut, and have a friend or neighbor stop by and open and close it each day.
That would be perfect but not possible I am afraid

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That would be perfect but not possible I am afraid
Why not? You have no friends or family close by? You don't know any of your neighbors? You can't hire a pet sitting service to swing by?

alfies mom

5 Year Member
I don't find your comments helpful. When you have reared and had a tortoise as long as I have perhaps you can make comments. I asked a simple question you obviously have no diy skills .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't picture what you're saying. All my tortoise sheds' doorways are covered with vinyl strips. I'm having a hard time seeing a "one way" door, and can't understand why he just can't go back in the door he came out???

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Many in here have had tortoises for many many years. To assume you are the only one and on a tortoise forum, well ...
He has given you the very best advice and the proper way to house a tortoise at night.
If there is no way of doing what was suggested then try just putting plastic in front of the opening, in strips that over lap each other a bit. Be sure she will go thru them on her own. Hopefully the strips will help keep others out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't find your comments helpful. When you have reared and had a tortoise as long as I have perhaps you can make comments. I asked a simple question you obviously have no diy skills .
Right. I'm brand new to tortoise keeping and don't build any of my own stuff. What do I know??? Sheesh. I should have just kept my opinion to myself.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Ok, both sides had their rebuttals and both have made their points.

I know where I live in my village of less then 65, nope no pet sitting service. Nearest one is probably about 25 miles away. Bet it would cost a lot, even if they were willing to drive 100 miles a day. Neighbors, nope don't want the world knowing what I have. Family once more closest one would be doing 75 miles and toting two children under 5 years of age. So I can clearly understand the poster and their thoughts.

Now on Tom's side, you can't tell from just his post on this thread, but he does do some tortoise house building. So poster, your comment was a bit rude and ungrounded.

alfies mom

5 Year Member
Ok, both sides had their rebuttals and both have made their points.

I know where I live in my village of less then 65, nope no pet sitting service. Nearest one is probably about 25 miles away. Bet it would cost a lot, even if they were willing to drive 100 miles a day. Neighbors, nope don't want the world knowing what I have. Family once more closest one would be doing 75 miles and toting two children under 5 years of age. So I can clearly understand the poster and their thoughts.

Now on Tom's side, you can't tell from just his post on this thread, but he does do some tortoise house building. So poster, your comment was a bit rude and ungrounded.si

alfies mom

5 Year Member
So sorry if I sounded rude ,family live miles away and I don't want to give some stranger my keys it's only really for one night whilst in hospital .my tortoise will push her door open and then it will stay open until I return I was worried about foxes thats why I thought of the door thank you for the idea of vinyl strips .