Two Russians at local pet store

Status
Not open for further replies.

farber2028

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I'm not sure if I put this in the right place. Either way, there are two Russians at a pet store near me that need to be adopted. I went today to exchange a light. I know nothing of Russians, but just the way they were looking didn't seem to be the greatest. They look like they are in need of someone to take care of them properly. I can buy them with the store's loyalty program for $99.99. Then, you'd have to cover expenses for shipping as well, as I'd just be getting these guys to their new home. I would be willing to pick one or both up if someone wanted. I just would like to be a path to the right home for these torts. PM me if you want me to check out these little guys some more for you.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Every Petco or Petsmart I've been to in the past 2 years sells russian tortoises for $100, and they all need to be "adopted," so while it's unfortunate I doubt anyone will actually want to do this.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I have never seen torts at our local Petco.
Maybe not big sellers in CT. Or maybe I just haven't been there at the right time.
Plenty of lizards, and a few snakes, though.

Ann from CT

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
Just thought I'd see if there were any takers. These guys looked rough

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
There's one thats been at my local Petsmart since before I bought my girl in April. I wish I could give him a nice home, at this point I'm sure a fifty gallon tub would be a great update for him but I know if I get him they will just bring in another. I would love to give him greens every day and let him have a nice life but they will just replace him.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I'm right there with you. For some reason our local pet stores (choosing to leave names out, since there are multiple stores) ALWAYS have RTs. So sad. They are always in very tiny glass cages. I spoke with one of the employees and even she was not happy about it. They will unfortunately just replace them with more. But all I can do is hope that they are being purchased by nice, well educated tortoise loving members on this forum. And of not, they should at least become members ASAP!

Just had a thought... What if there were cute, non conspicuous tortoiseforum stickers we could stick on the glass... You know spread the word?? :). Maybe I'm mischievous

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
1 Boxie
1 Betta fish

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
farber2028 said:
I'm not sure if I put this in the right place. Either way, there are two Russians at a pet store near me that need to be adopted. I went today to exchange a light. I know nothing of Russians, but just the way they were looking didn't seem to be the greatest. They look like they are in need of someone to take care of them properly. I can buy them with the store's loyalty program for $99.99. Then, you'd have to cover expenses for shipping as well, as I'd just be getting these guys to their new home. I would be willing to pick one or both up if someone wanted. I just would like to be a path to the right home for these torts. PM me if you want me to check out these little guys some more for you.

There are two on craigslist i want to save as well...they are in a wire cage, like for a rabbit. I would do the same thing your doing I just worry about disease...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
txturtle13 said:
Just had a thought... What if there were cute, non conspicuous tortoiseforum stickers we could stick on the glass... You know spread the word?? :). Maybe I'm mischievous

Instead of stickers, pass out TFO cards. I carry them on me. I made my own and also have some from Josh. Then you can strike up quick conversation with someone and pass it along. Or place a card on the shelf in the reptile section.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
I find it so strange that the big chain store near me does a relatively good job housing their tortoises while the rest of the country seems to be in dire need of an educated person to run the reptile areas. They always have Russians, never aquatic turtles, they get a large enclosure on the end case, have a decent selection of hides and are fed ok. Obviously there's a lack of consistency that these stores need to address if their going to keep selling these animals.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I agree. Just came from one, picking up worms and other odds and ends. RTs were on sale, depressed and hiding in the corner. There cage was 2 ft by 2ft, if that. :(

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
1 Boxie
1 Betta fish

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Last year I went to petco cause I need it to buy some stuff and they had 5 Russians in a cage so little they were all pilled on top of each other

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Do not buy them and the demand for wild caught torts diminishes ever so slightly.

When you rescue two two more are picked up and loaded on to a truck destined for a pet store.

I work at a pet store and I oppose the sale of wild caught torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.