Two healthy torts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bry:)

5 Year Member
Dylan and george, all this talk about illness in winter in tortoises i was just wondering if you think these two are healthy and alright? they're well looked after, and havent had any problems before.

030.jpg
029.jpg
031.jpg

( i dont know how to make them pictures)

Last edited by a moderator:

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
The shells look good. As long as they are eating a good diet and pooing regular and their nose and eyes are clear, I would say they are healthy. Do you have the heat and humidity at good levels?

5 Year Member
i do indeed! and they are wormed annually, and vet checked, they have a varied diet, i live in wales, so my 'greens' are slightly different to yours, but i'd love to know where to get this cactus pad thing you all talk about? i'd love cactus pad thing you all talk about? i'sd love to introduce it!

And yes they poo regularly :p and they are soaked every other day, in a baby bath :p

moswen

5 Year Member
oh cactus pads! if you search "opuntia cactus pads" or "prickly pear cactus pads" you'll come up with what you need! any variety of opuntia is acceptable to feed torts, but you may want to shoot for the thornless pads, and i just take a potato peeler to mine to get the slices thin enough for my babies to eat.

since you live in whales i don't know what the postage is from here to there but i buy mine from cory. i'm not sure if there are any species of cactus that can actually grow all the way that far north in whales, but maybe you can find someone who grows them in your house and you can get a cutting!

they're very healthy, high in fiber and calcium, and all torts love them! if you can't find that, aloe is a good alternative. it's very high in fiber, but almost too high as you should only feed it every so often because it can cause runny poopies!

5 Year Member
ooh i hate runny poopies!!

i must say, i have viewed some of your lots enclosures and they are impressive, i strive to be more creative! haa. may i see some photies? :p
wales is very different from you lot!
Aloe is good for them? i never realised.

Feeding day today was the usual dandelion leaves ( i hear they can eat the flowers?)
pansie leaves
petals
Raddichino
and a hint of strawberry!!

Status
Not open for further replies.