Turtle shell never shed

NKK

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hello! I'm worried about my turtle's shell. She never sheds (she's 2 years old), and recently it somehow became covered in white spots that appear worse when she's basking. I went to the vet and asked about her shell, but the doctor doesn't seem to understand turtles very well, and no other vet takes reptiles in my area :(.

She's very active, so she often bumps her shell into other objects, and she eats properly too. I often give her romaine lettuce, carrots, cucumber, dried shrimp, and dried cricket as snacks. Does anyone know what is wrong with my turtle's shell?

Attachments

• 20240420_160152.jpg
    20240420_160152.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is there a spot in her enclosure that allows her to climb out of the water and sit in the sun (or a light)? I'm tempted to say it's shell fungus, but I'm not sure.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I agree that this may have to do with how the turtle is kept. She's very beautiful by the way. Let's have details of her enclosure? Then we can help you more!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need you to respond so we can help. Looks like your turtle has a fungus. Dry dock him and put athletes foot cream on the areas.
Google search how to dry dock a turtle.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That is not fungus. It is a shell in need of shedding. The top layer of keratin is loosening which creates that look. From what you are describing, it is the diet that is the issue. Possibly not access to good basking as well. Get a good koi pellet and start making that more and more of the diet. Looks like a red-belly that could be really pretty once it sheds!