Turtle calcium blocks?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Hi, guys n gals.
My little mud turtle, Jacques, has been biting the shelf of his plastic "log." I was guessing he might need calcium or minerals, even though I feed him the Hikari Sinking Carnivore Wafers, which are very highly rated. I am trying to steer away from cuttlebone ever since I read how the poor squid are all killed JUST FOR THEIR CUTTLEBONE.:(
So I thought I'd try to find a turtle calcium and mineral block.
Ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks!
:p

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi, guys n gals.
My little mud turtle, Jacques, has been biting the shelf of his plastic "log." I was guessing he might need calcium or minerals, even though I feed him the Hikari Sinking Carnivore Wafers, which are very highly rated. I am trying to steer away from cuttlebone ever since I read how the poor squid are all killed JUST FOR THEIR CUTTLEBONE.:(
So I thought I'd try to find a turtle calcium and mineral block.
Ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks!
:p
I have occasionally dropped one of those turtle tabs in the tank for younger turtles. You could try that.

The cuttlefish fisheries were established long ago because the cuttlefish is considered a delicacy - (they are a squid), and the ink is highly valued in cosmetics and printing/ painting. (the sepia color we refer to is from the scientific name of the cuttlefish - Sepia officinalis) The cuttlebone was used in making jewelry, and as a polishing powder for jewelry and even in toothpaste. It was used as an antacid too. As those uses faded in favor of newer options, the left over cuttlebone found a place in pet stores. But it is the food value that is the reason they are fished. Cuttlefish is considered one of the most suitable and healthy forms of human food you can find. Roughly 81% water and 16% protein with less than 1% fat and is highly digestible. If you eat sushi, you are probably eating cuttlefish. Japan is understandably the top cuttlefish consuming nation. The cuttlebone is a by product of these fisheries who have now found the pet industry as a buyer of the left over part of the cuttlefish.